5

POV: LEAH

"I was eleven years old when my mother killed my father and brother. She was supposed to kill me too, but she failed. She killed my dad with a golf club. She bashed it into his head multiple times until she was sure he was dead. Then it was my brothers turn. He was six years old. She threw a vase right at his head. That was right in front of my eyes.

That was also my nightmare, I keep seeing him and I keep hearing his crying. She filled a bathtub to drown me in, but the neighbors heard all those sounds. Eventually, I was rescued and put into foster care while she was arrested and normally she would be put in jail"

"Then why isn't she?"

"There was an administration problem and there were not enough testimonies. She cleaned up everything and said that they fell off the balcony. It was my word against hers.

She was released and I was taken out of foster care. We kept living under supervision but after a while they saw no sign of mistreating or abuse so they never came back to check up on me. She turned to alcoholism and the shouting began. The beatings started not too long after that and now I'm here"

"How long did you live with the beatings?"

"Three? Maybe four years?"

"Oh Leah"

"Now I'm seventeen, I turn eighteen in a few months so I'll get out"

"I can help you. Whatever you need"

"Thanks Ashy, I really appreciate that"

"No problem kid"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, shoot"

"Why are you helping me? Not that I don't want it but-"

"Relax, I am helping you because I want to. Because I experienced a similar situation when I was a kid"

Wow. The fact that she trusts me with this information.

"How did you get out?"

"I didn't. It got so bad I almost died. I turned to drugs and I almost killed myself. That's where Ali stepped in. I met her in a really bad time of my life and she helped me get back on track and now I'm here"

I can't believe she got so lucky. I have no one who can help me. She thinks she can but she doesn't even know me. The things I've done...

"Listen kid, I know right now it seems there is no way out but it will get better, only if you accept help"

"I don't know what I have to do now"

"Let me help you. Stay the night here, Jill can arrange a room for you"

"She doesn't even like me, why would she do that?"

"Because I'll tell her to"

Oh damn. Ash is ready to fight. For me?

"Thanks Ash"

"Get some sleep, I'll go arrange some shit"

POV: ASHLYN

Ali. I got to find her. Oh she is gonna be mad. Okay, isn't there a search on Google for 'How to deal with a mad Ali'? Sorry that I didn't talk to you for a whole day, babe, please forgive me? Thanks!

"Oh I'm such an asshole"

"You're right about that part"

Shit.

"Ali, hey babe"

"Don't you 'hey babe' me"

"Look, I know I have kept you in the dark but I'll explain"

"Go ahead"

And so I explained the whole story to her. Good thing she wasn't mad, but like Ali, understanding. God I love her.

"And what are you going to do now?"

"I have no clue"

"Maybe we go to the police? I know you said they didn't do a very good job the first time but didn't Leah tell you she took pictures of every injury she sustained from her mother?"

Oh that's right, she did! Good thinking Ali!

"You're a genius!"

"I know. Now, when she is awake we'll go together"

I got to Jill's office and knocked on the door.

"Come in"

"Jill, can you arrange a room for Leah? Her last name is Morris if you need it. She has nowhere else to go"

"Uhm, yes she has? She has a mother and until proven otherwise she is innocent"

"Are you serious?"

"I'm sorry Ash but it's out of my hands"

"Okay, I'll pay myself!"

"Ash"

"No don't Jill, she is being abused and you are doing nothing"

I slammed the door so hard that I almost took it with me. How can she be such a bitch?

I went downstairs because I needed a minute to think about all this. If we cause her mother to be arrested, she'll have no one left. That is maybe the reason that she didn't go to the police in the first place.

I have to ask Ali this, but what if we adopt her?