THE Sunday

"Good morning", Aarthi wished in her morning cheerful voice.

Arun smiled and wished back good morning.

"When did you wake up?", She asked going into the kitchen while making her hair into a bun.

"Umm... Just a while ago.", He said this as he can't say he didn't sleep at all.

"Ok. But you look exhausted.", She said while coming back with two mugs of hot water in her hand.

"Nothing like that.", He continued taking a cup from her hand."Thank you and You look happy?".

Aarthi smiled and replied, "Nothing. Sundays are my favorite.

"Why is that?"

"In my school days, I used to wait for Sundays as we all do of course. I used to sleep a lot, eat a lot and then enjoy movies. All of us used to watch a movie every Sunday. Even after getting into service, I enjoyed Sundays the same way. Sleep, eat, and movies."

Arun gave a painful smile which didn't go unnoticed by Aarthi and she made a mental note not to bring family discussions in between. She then looked at the wall clock and realized it was almost 9:00 AM and they need to prepare breakfast. But then an idea hit her.

"We will order something today. I'm in no mood to cook."

"Well I guess it's me who cooks.", Arun said in a teasing tone.

"Yeah... But I'm in no mood to see you cook.", Aarthi smiled sheepishly.

They both ordered and stayed on the balcony as it is not a very sunny day.

"So, Arun I wanted to ask you a few questions. Just say yes or No as the answer. Okay?"

Arun thought for a while and nodded.

"Do you belong to Mumbai?"

"NO"

"South India?"

"YES"

"Hyderabad?"

"YES."

"Oh my god! you're from Hyderabad. I didn't know.", Aarthi jumped like a child.

"Actually the orphanage I was bought up is in Hyderabad. I moved to Mumbai when I was 16."

He said casually but Aarthi felt a pinch of pain in her heart. She was about to say sorry and the doorbell rang. It is the food they ordered. They sat in silence the whole time they were eating. Aarthi is thinking that Arun is feeling bad and she wants to apologize. Arun's phone rang as soon as they completed the breakfast it was Shivam and Arun needed to check and draft a few emails. 

"UH... Aarthi I have some important office work I'll just come."

"Ok."

After about an hour he came out and was having water in the Kitchen.

"I'm sorry Arun.", Aarthi said in a meek voice standing at the entrance.

"What happened?", Arun asked confused.

"I didn't mean to hurt you by saying about my childhood and also with my stupid questions."

"Aarthi. I'm not hurt. Okay. I don't feel sympathy for myself and I expect others not to."

"It's not sympathy Arun. It's... It's ... I don't know how to say. It is just a feeling of hurt inside me for knowing you have gone through a lot even when you are not at fault.", saying this Aarthi slowly walked towards Arun.

Aarthi put her hand on Arun's bicep and continued, "I wanted to say that you were so strong and done everything exceptionally well for yourself."

She gave a smile and Arun is lost in her eyes. For the first time in his life, someone is feeling happy about the things he did. He saw pure empathy in Aarthi's eyes when she said she is feeling hurt for him.

 His heart skipped a beat or two or maybe more just by listening to her words in the best way possible. All the functions were stopped inside his body. Their little moment was disturbed by a whistle from the pressure cooker. Both looked that side.

Arun gained his composure and said, "What is that?"

"I've put rice in the cooker and cut those veggies for the curry."

"Okay. I'll make it."

They started making the curry. When she didn't start asking anything it didn't sit well with him. He paused his actions and said to her, "I tried to change everything that is not right for me Aarthi and I accepted everything that I can't change. It took me some time but I am strong now. Don't feel awkward about your talks. I enjoy them and don't stop talking when I am around." 

He is feeling so surprised at his own words. She gave a full-blown smile and started with her questions again. She asked about Bunny and Ridhima, their love story, his education, and his work where he didn't disclose his identity but told her that Shivam is his assistant and he is his favorite colleague. She also said him to call Shivam for lunch someday. 

They ate lunch together and then watched a movie of her choice. Soon it was evening and they took a walk around, went to a cafe had a sandwich, and coffee and they walked home. It was almost 9 when they reached home.

Aarthi lay on the couch after a long walk and said, "We enjoyed a lot this weekend."

"WE? I mean how can you say if I enjoyed it? Moreover, what have we done?", Arun asked.

"What have we done? We watched two movies. Talked about many things. Cooked together. Slept well. what else do you want? And for your first question, I know you enjoyed the weekend in my way." Ridhima's words rang in his ears. Indeed his wife is a unique girl.

"How? is what I asked.", said Arun with folded hands.

Aarthi smiled widely and started saying, "You didn't drink your morning coffee. I know you are not a movie person and you watched along with me and for a note you watched Cinderella twice. You talked so much. You said you like my talks. May be in a very different situation but I will take that as a compliment. Today while we were talking over the lunch I put some extra rice on your plate and you ate it. You also had two sandwiches in the cafe. You are not a person who compromises himself for petty things but you opened up to me because you may be you felt either you needed to open up or you thought I have to know. So I can clearly say you enjoyed your weekend so much and spent it wisely."

Arun listened to all and is still trying to decipher her words. He didn't realize he did not drink coffee for two consecutive days and was still in a nice mood. He didn't realize he ate more today. On both days he felt as if the always void of having someone to care for him is being done by Aarthi. Suddenly he acknowledged the realities of his past that were locked under the layers of his heart for two days.

Now it is the time for the greatest war of all time. The Heart VS The Brain.

"Don't think too much Arun. We both have office tomorrow. Let's sleep early. Good night.", saying this she went inside her room.

But here Arun is watching her room's door very intensely like it is the only thing left. He took a deep breath and came to the conclusion that whatever happened was between friends, not husband and wife. Maybe he is trying not to hurt her but unknowingly going to do things that hurt her more and also hurt him the most.

He said good night to no one in particular and went inside his room. He lay on the bed and his phone pinged with a message.

It was a message from Ridhima: 'Did you enjoy your weekend with your wife.'

'I enjoyed my weekend with my friend. My newly found friend.'

He replied and smiled. Aarthi was happy for the day and also for Arun to be comfortable talking about his childhood. Soon sleep engulfed both of them.