The truth

El smiled a bit at Maddi before looking at Max.
"I'm sorry..Max but I-I can't right now" she said handing the flowers back to Max.
A couple tears fell from Max's eyes as she quickly wiped them away.
"Okay.." she whispered her voice barley audible.
Max walked away from Els house her eyes glued to the sidewalk as she started crying.

"Maddi can we please tell her?" El asked turning to her "girlfriend"
"No El no one can know"
"But Maddi! I'm doing this to help you okay? We agreed we aren't in an actual relationship and I want my girlfri-best friend to know that this is fake!"
"El I know you like her but she can't know. The more people who know the worse plus you already told your brother!"
"I'm telling Max tomorrow and I don't give a fuck what you want. My relationship with the love of my life is ruined because you want to use me and help make your ex jealous" El replied bluntly before walking into her room slamming the door behind her.

Max found her way to the park, sitting down on the bench. She stared down at the flowers in her hands. Inside the bouquet was a note Max wrote for El. Tears poured out of Max's eyes as she ripped the note apart. She covered her face in her hands letting the shreds of paper fall to the ground.
"You know that's littering right?" A familiar voice said.
Max looked up to see Will sitting down next to her staring ahead. She quickly wiped her eyes.
"Oh hey Will"
"You alright?" He asked putting his hand on her shoulder.
Max looked back down at the flowers in her hands.
"Yeah..I miss El but she found someone better than me now. She broke up with me said she needed time for herself than got a new girlfriend..I went there to see if she'd date me again. I was so excited Will..I really thought we would be cuddling right now..but no..she broke my heart again"
Will sat there not saying anything, trying to decide whether he should tell Max the truth.
Max wiped her eyes her eyes were bright red now.
Will sighed softly he decided it wasn't his place to tell Max but if El didn't tell her soon he was going to.
"I'm going to a party tonight. Wanna come?" Will asked trying to cheer up Max.
"You? Will Byers is going to a party?"
"Yup! You heard that right" he asked with a soft smile.
Max nodded a bit returning the smile.
"Sure Will"

Soon Max was staring ahead into her closet trying to find a decent outfit to wear. She settled on some high waisted leggings with a white crop top. She brought a jacket just in case it got cold.

Robin walked into Max's room and sat down on the bed.
"How are you feeling?" She asked with a sad smile.
Max shrugged.
"Fine I guess" she mumbled her voice a little raspy from crying.
"She doesn't deserve you Max"
"I still love her to death and that's never going to change so don't start that please" Max muttered putting on some makeup.
"Okay.." Robin whispered standing up.
Max brushed her hair and curled it at the bottoms.
"Max meet me in the car! We're picking up Will on the way" Robin called before walking outside.
Max sighed softly looking at herself in the mirror before grabbing her jacket, hurrying outside.

The car ride was silent even after they picked Will up. Robin pull in at the side of the road met with blasting music and shining lights.
"Have fun! And please be safe..call me when you want me to pick you guys up alright? If one of you is leaving both of you are leaving"
Max and Will nodded giving Robin a small wave before making there way to the door.
Inside reeked of beer as the two made there way inside.
"Hey Byers!" Someone called out waving Will over.
"Go" Max said with a small smile.
"You sure? I don't wanna leave you alone.."
Max nodded in response watching Will walk away.
She was now alone looking around at everyone in small groups talking, laughing, dancing, and having fun. Here she was alone no one to talk to or dance with. Max sighed softly through her nose, she really wanted to go back home and cry while binge watching some movies but she didn't want to make Will go home. Instead Max decided to make her way to the couch. She sat down fidgeting while she looked up at everyone.

"Spin the bottle!!" Someone yelled as everyone formed a circle.
Max rolled her eyes.
"Are we in middle school" she mumbled to herself.
Max sat down in the circle and looked beside her noticing..
"El?"
"Oh..hey Max" El said with a small smile.
Max didn't care to return the smile but inside just avoided eye contact. She could feel El looking at her the same way she used to when they were dating.
A kid named Evan spun the bottle and Max watched as it landed on Maddi. She looked at El who didn't seem to have a reaction.
"He's going to kiss your girlfriend" Max said looking at El.
"Max I need to talk to you about something" El whispered grabbing Max's hand and leading her into a different room.

The second their hands touched Max's cheeks turned bright red butterflies swarming inside her stomach.
"Max. Maddi is not my real girlfriend, she's using me trying to make her ex jealous and..I only agreed because we've been friends for a while...I swear I love you more than anyone on this entire universe and I felt like I was going to die when I saw you earlier today standing at my doorstep, flower in hand. You looked really cute and all I wanted to do was wrap my arms around you. But I couldn't because..you know Maddi but I'm done with this..it's been three months of this and she's acting like we are in a real relationship which I don't want with anybody that is not you" El rambled maintaining eye contact with Max.

Max stood there a moment.
"You hurt me" she blurted out her voice cracking a little.
"I know..and I'm so so so sorry..you don't have to forgive me I just wanted to tell you the truth"
Max bit her lip trying to hold back her smile.
"El..I'm sorry but..you hurt me to bad I'm never dating you again" she replied.
El sighed softly tears quickly forming in her eyes.
"I understand"
Max giggles before wrapping her arms around the taller girl.
"I was joking don't cry please" she said burying her face into her shoulder.

El gasped pulling away.
"Your so mean!" She said starting to tickling Max.
Max laughed trying to get away from El.
"Ellll stop!" She said while laughing.
El chuckled a bit and stopped ticking Max.
Max turned to face El with a soft smile on her face. El quickly returned the smile. El grabbed Max's hand and brought it to her lips causing the redhead to laugh.
"I missed that" El whispered.
Max tilted her head a bit, furrowing her eyes brows a little.
"Missed what?" Max asked.
"Your laugh" El said with a smile.
(Little Lumax inspiration))
AUTHORS NOTE~~
This chapter is actually pretty long!
And here Elmax is back!!'
Don't forget to vote and comment if you want to