Chapter 5. Blast From The Past

Zach walked away, but she could sense him watching her and so she never looked his way.  She felt a strong connection between them that she couldn't explain, but she didn't know if she should act on it.  Her gut was telling her don't go there.   

'Is it because he has a girlfrined or is it something  deeper than that? I know Daddy would never accept him...he is not who he would want for me.  Why am I thinking long term? I am not even eighteen yet.  Why am I thinking of him?  He might be just looking for short term fun.  Why am I thinking he wants me?  He never said  any such thing.  Maybe I am  way ahead of myself.  Maybe if you stop running away from him, you might just find out what he wants.' 

 from the brief conversations she had with Zach, it was clear how different they were.  He was defintely from a male dominated world, where men control everybody and everything.  She could not believe in this day and age, anyone could  think that architecture and  engineering were a male profession.  

'What is a male profession anyway?  You would need to be from the 17th century to think that way.  Maybe he time traveled to the twenty first  century.'  

Her parents drilled into her head from an early age, that there was no such thing as a male profession.  Any job a man can do, a woman can do it too and her mother even went further to say a woman can do it better and do a job that a man can never do...give birth.  God took one look at man and decided that they were too weak to handle that, her mother said.  Ericka smiled as she recalled some of the stories her parents told her as a child.  She had so much love for her parents.

Zach stood for several minutes  and watched her.  She could see him in her peripheral vision, and she kept her head down as if she was deeply concentrating on something.  The minute he was through the door, Ericka quickly packed up her books and headed in the opposite direction so she wouldn't run into him.  'You need to stop running from him.'  That voice said again.

She made it back to her dorm without running into Zach.  She was glad that her roomate, Lisa was not there.  Ericka was not in the mood for her chatter.  The girl never stayed a night in the dorm.  She spent most of her time with her boyfriend off campus, so Ericka had the room to herself.  Ericka dropped her books on her desk, grabbed her towel and toiletries and was about to head to the shower, when her phone rang.  

"E?" 

"Kyle?! Why haven't you call me?!" She jumped in the air.

"Just got your number from your mother and just got my phone too.  How are you?"

"Great, how is school?! How is New York? Tell me everthing." She was so excited to hear from Kyle.

"Sure you want to hear everything E?"

"Ok, ok, I don't want to hear anything gross about you and some girl."

"Fucking hate school, but fucking love New York.  You will love it E.  You have to come visit."

Ericka sighed.  "Don't know when though.  I have a shit load of school work."

"Well that is a tough curiculum you choose." Kyle said.

"Well if Daddy could do it, I can do it too," 

"Yeah, but he probably scraped through with lousy grades, you will never settle for that."

Ericka laughed.  "I am going to tell him you said that." They chatted for a while.

"Look, let me know when you want to come to New York.  We could check out  a club or two or see a show."

"I will, I miss you Kyle."

"Miss you too E." 

Ericka hung up from Kyle.  She quickly saved his number in her phone with a special ring tone...to one of their favorite songs.  She  grabbed the container  with her toiletries.  The phone went off again with just a regular ring.  She had a special ring tone for everyone important in her life...so she didn't know  who was calling.