Chapter 11. COME ONE COME ALL

Tanya was busy at work.  She was now running a multi billion dollar business.  She had turned the once mom and pop stores on the island into Super stores across the Caribbean ...all while being a wife and a mother to five children.  They said it couldn't be done, but she had proved them all wrong.  Of course she had a lot of help. 

Jess, her youngest sister was instrumental in the success of the business, and of course her mother was still there helping her out, and she could not leave out her husband Eric.  He was her rock and the best partner a woman could have.  She reminisced, but suddenly got very sad and emotional.  

'I wish Daddy was here to see all we have done with the business. Oh but he knows. I am sure he knows.'   

She looked over at  her  baby Ace, playing happily in his playpen across from her desk.   She had brought all of her last four children into work with  her.   She did not want to miss anything in their upbringing...a first smile, a first word or their first step.  

Ace was deffinitely a Johnson, unlike her previous four children who looked like their father and the Willbrooks clan, Tanya could see her father's likeness in Ace already.   He looked up and saw his mother watching him and he bounced up to a standing position and yelled "Mama."  His lips turned down, suddenly he was not happy.  He wanted to be held.  Tanya got up from her desk and walked over and picked him up.  And as usual, he immediately reached for earing.  Tanya told him a stern no and he busted out crying which  brought in his grandmother.   

Tanya's mother reached for him.  Tanya smiled at her mother.

"What?" Her mother asked.

"You can try and deny it all you want, but it can't be any more obvious that Ace is your favorite." Tanya said.

Edie hugged the child to her chest and he immediately stopped crying.  "I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have no favorite grandchild." 

The phone rang and Tanya hurried over to get it.  She turned around to her mother, face beet red.    "Can you excuse me? I need to take this call...in private."  

Edie looked at her daughter.  She was always in on all calls that were business related. So she knew that this call was personal.  With the baby still in her arms, Edie quickly exited the room and closed the door behind her.    

                                                                                                ***********

Tanya put the phone to her ears. "Princess?"  Only two people ever refer to her as Princess.  One of them was her husband, and this was not her husband.  

"What are you doing calling me here?"

"And where should I call you? At home?" He asked.  She could tell that he was smiling.

"This is not a game.  You cause so much friction in my marriage these past couple of weeks."

"Me? How did I do that?"

"Don't pretend that you don't know.  I asked you to watch out for Ericka and you had to go and  give her a car."

"I was just trying to help.  I didn't want her taking public transportation Tanya. I am sure you don't either."

"Don't be naive.  Ericka has no reason to take public transportation."

"Now who is being naive? You honestly think that a seventeen year old won't need to leave the campus, by any means she can?" 

"Eric has been so mad at me...all because of you."

"Did he hurt you?" 

"Hurt me? Of course not. Why would you ask that?"