Chapter 6. Island Girl

"Gees Ericka, I thought you were going to say, I could be your grandfather."

Ericka, laughed, "I know that you didn't think that."

"So, Zach's last name is Brosman?"

"Yes, that is what he tells me."

"Might he be Peter Brosman's son?" 

'Oh no, did I set Uncle Luke on Zach? He has that look that Daddy has when he is about to dig into something or someone.'

"Uncle Luke, he is annoying but he is no bother."

"You sure?"

Ericka smiled at the man across from her that looked so much like her dad, but for the accent. He had a unique accent...a mixture of American and British and every now and then she could hear the island accent as well.

"I am sure. He is really quite harmless. He is more protective of me than anyhting else."

"Do you know any kind of martial arts?"He asked.

"You mean like karate?"

He nodded. "No, I dont."

"Look, I know your father would not send you here to school, without ensuring your security. But it doesn't hurt to learn to protect yourself. I can teach you. Would you like that?"

She could feel herself slipping into the abyss. If she didn't watch out she would be exchanging one dad for another and hence her freedom. Yet she didn't mind. She enjoyed his company. She did not want the evening to end.

                                                                                              *********

 He called for the check and instead of their waitress, the woman Sarah they met on the way in, brought over the check. She was a gorgeous brunette, maybe in her late thirties, with curves in all the right places. The way she looked at Luke had Ericka wondering if she had a thing for her uncle. 

'Poor woman he is in love with a myth.'

"Sarah, my bad, I didn't introduce you to my Niece. Ericka meet Sarah. Sarah is like a mother hen, makes me watch what I eat, although she is much too young to be my mother."

'Not too young to be a wife though.'

"Nice to meet you Ericka."

"Likewise." Ericka answered.

"Visiting your uncle?"

"Ericka goes to school here. So I will be seeing a lot more of her." Luke answered.

"Is she going to be a doctor too?"

"Well she is much more smarter than me. She will be designing and building skycrapers." Luke said proudly.

As the woman left, Luke look to Ericka. "Do you want to come see where I live?" He asked.

"Yes, I would love that."

"It's nothing fancy like that beach house you are accustom to, but it is home."

He waited for Ericka outside the restroom as if he was afraid someone would snatch her.

"All set?" He asked as she opened the door.

Ericka nodded. "Come," he said. She followed him out.

                                                                                            *********

Ericka walked into her uncle's home and didn't know what to think. She was speechless. It was a loft apartment, unlike anything she had ever seen. The space was huge, with floor to ceiling windows, but so sterile, no warmth. It was all beige and white everywhere she looked, except for the exposed red brick walls in some areas.