Chapter Six

For the next 30 minutes my mind was focused on Flame, and how his small amount of words had such a big impact on me.

Do I like him?

Glancing at him, I notice how his canvas has beautiful colors that range from blue to purple. It looks like he's drawing a the morning sky. I see a small person in the middle of the canvas, and wonder if it's supposed to represent him.

I hear a snap to my left, and glance at Marshall Lee.

"Oh, hello Marshall Lee."

He rolls his eyes, and gives me an upset look.

"This is art, not 'stare at kids like a pedophile' class. You should know he's straighter than a pencil, and has an ex girlfriend who will turn your life into a living hell."

I flush, embarrassed that Marshall caught me staring, but get a little upset.

"Excuse me for asking this" I say, "but why do you care?"

Marshall chuckles, slapping some dark blue paint onto his canvas. Giving me a sideways glance, he says "I don't. Just looking out for my...prey."

I roll my eyes, giving Flame one last look, before working on my canvas.

I am currently inspired by Flame's shy heart, and have drawn a background of hills, and a wide sky filled with cherry blossoms. The trunks of these petals are nowhere to be seen, because they haven't yet found what grounds them, bringing them a confident base.

Just like Flame.

"Psst!"

I glance at Marceline, placing my paint brush on the holder beside me.

"Hey" I say, hiding behind my canvas.

Marceline nods toward Flame, an unusual look on her face.

"Don't fall for flame boy, alright? He's the last person you want to know."

Frowning, I squint at her, confusion running through me.

"I thought Marshall was?"

"What about me" Marshall Lee interrupts, scooting into our conversation, with his small stool.

"Nothing" Marceline says, glaring at him.

"Wait" I ask, "then who's the worst?"

Marceline whispers "Flame."

"Nuh uh" Marshall whines, "I'm the worst. You should see me when I'm in bed with-"

"Marshall" Marceline and I whisper-shout, at the same time.

"Wait" he says, looking me in the eye. "Does Gumwad have a crush on Flame?"

I turn red, and say "no! It's none of your business."

Marceline shoves a finger into his chest, her eyes seeming dark red for a second.

"Stop giving Gumboy nicknames, that's my thing. Go bully someone else Marshall!"

He puts up both hands, and says "I'm not bullying him, I'm just messing with my prey."

Suddenly, he grabs my shoulders, pulling me up to his chest. Yelping, I grip his sleeves, almost falling off my stool.

But, my attention draws elsewhere, as my head is pushed to the right, and I feel Marshall's hot breath on my neck. Gasping, a blush spreads on my cheek, and I'm unable to escape from his arms.

"Marshall fucking Lee!"

Marceline pulls me away from Marshall, who gives an evil cackle, crossing his legs as I'm in Marceline's arms.

"That was fun" he says, "I can practically smell your blood!"

Raising an eyebrow, I look at Marceline, who looks angrier than I've ever seen her. I go to comfort her, but the bell rings, everyone around us running from the classroom.

Even Flame.

I sigh, gathering my items, as I rush out of the class, hoping to catch up to Flame. Marshall and Marceline remain in the same position, not daring to break eye contact, I ignore it.

But as I exit the classroom, I run straight into another body, who immediately behind apologizing.

"Gumball" Flame cries, an apologetic look on his face.

Gasping, my face turns dark pink, sweat forming on my hand, which lays on his chest.

"F-flame" I stutter, "I'm sorry."

He gives a small smile, picking up one of my journals, and hands it to me.

"I wanted to wait for you" he says, putting a hand to his neck. I can sense how nervous he is, so I give an immediate smile.

"Thank you."

Smiling, Flame walks next to me, asking me how my first day was.

I know I got beat up, and I'm still in pain, but honestly...being with Flame eases away the pain. If you asked me how I felt during last period, I'd say wonderful.

"Well" I say, brushing a stray hair behind my ear, "it could have gone better. But, it could have gone worse as well."

Flame chuckles, his books and journals being held by his side, as they swing with each step he takes. I, on the other hand, hold my journals to my chest.

I'd hate for Marshall Lee to smack them from my arms.

"Well I'm happy" Flame says, holding the school doors open, as I walk past him. "If it's not too much of a hassle" he asks, "can I walk you to first period tomorrow?"

I stay silent, squealing inside, but my face stays the same on the outside.

"Um...s-sure, I'd love that."

He smiles, grabbing my hand from my chest, and gives it a small peck.

Waving to him, I feel my insides melt.

Maybe this is my year! I will find love, in a shy, yet handsome, young man named Anthony! Maybe there is a god in this world! And he's begun to realize that I deserve happiness in this cruel world. Oh, if only-

"How romantic" Marshall Lee says, interrupting my mental monologue.

Turning in a circle, I face Marshall.

"I know" I say, agreeing with him. "Isn't he the perfect gentleman?"

"Yeah, yeah" Marceline interrupts, putting her hands on my shoulders. "Me and some girls are going shopping for costumes" she adds, "come with us, Bubba."

I hesitate for a second, only to nod in the end.

It will be lots of fun, hopefully.