Chapter Twenty Three

The nurse had removed the breathing machine that occupied my throat as soon as my eyes opened, which has left me sore and uncomfortable.

I open my mouth, try to get words out, but only a hoarse sound comes out. As if I've been smoking since birth.

"Honey, you sound terrible!"

Laughter surrounds me, as does cheering and many tears, as my mom and dad grab me in a bear hug.

I hug her back, faintly remembering the weird dream I experienced, when something in my hand crumples.

As soon as I'm out of my mom's arms, I look down to my hand, opening the crumpled photo.

Marceline, LSP, me, and-

A nurse pulls my face toward her, flashing a light into my eyes. I wince, but let her continue, before my mom starts to speak again.

"Honey, you've been in the hospital for a week. You were in a coma, and we-"

I block her out, the memories of the dream flooding back into my head. Firsts I was talking to Fionna, then Marshall, then Mom, then Vampire Queen, and-

The light! The King revived me!

A warm hand grabs my wrist, a nurse checking my blood pressure, as mom continues to talk.

"Everyone's here" my mom's voice reaches my ears once more. "Your friends from school, your dad and I, even the Royal Vampire family! Prince Marshall sure was-"

Marshall.

The nurse releases me from her machine, and I'm immediately taken by Mom's words.

Looking up to my mom, I flip my hands around, giving her wide eyes.

"Oh Gumball, you know I'm no good at charades!"

Laughter is heard from her side, and I see the Vampire Queen and King walk in, a dark red rose in each of their hands.

I get excited, as they approach the other side of my bed, handing me the thorn filled roses. I'm not shocked at all, but am pleasantly surprised.

"You saved-" I quiet down, the strain on my voice enough to make me shut up.

The King and Queen look to each other, both obviously knowing what I was going to say, as they just laugh. I've never heard such laughter from the both of them. I didn't even know the Vampire Queen could laugh.

"Gumball" the Queen says, catching my attention. "I think we all know what saved you."

I'm surprised at her words, and glance to the King, who just smiles at me.

As I open my mouth to ask a question, in an ugly voice, my Mom questions them.

"Where's Marshall Lee and Marceline?"

The gaze of the Queen shifts from me to Mom, but the King's remains on me. His eyebrows raise, as if repeating the answer, and I remember where I was before this.

"Marceline is in the lobby with friends, and Marshall Lee- why if I can hear correctly, he's getting something to eat on the floor below us."

"Marshall" I croak out, and try to step off the bed, only to feel Mom's hand land on my arm.

"Where are you going" she asks, and I shake my head. "Let me get you a wheelchair, nurse!"

I shake my head, wanting to thank her for her worrying, but ignore her. Grabbing the pole that holds my IV, I drag it with me, as I stumble out of the room.