31: Awakening

The fall was rolling in quickly.

Along with the marriage, things were going smoothly. Sarah noticed how she felt no different than she did before she let Henrik slip the ring onto her finger. There were no added responsibilities to her plate. Everything remained the same.

Sarah would notice how Willow and Sammy came home, giddy about the day they had. She would always be cooking dinner, wanting to get to bed to get a good sleep in, so it'd be their father who would listen. Willow was meeting new people, and from what Henrik could pick up from her stories, most of them were boys.

Sammy was saying the same thing, quickly putting his finished homework back into his bag. Despite them being twins, they were in separate grade levels. Henrik learned that Willow, while still being underneath pressure at home, managed to succeed and skipped a grade. His daughter had a knack for fast learning that he didn't quite see until now.

Willow suddenly noticed how Sammy would speak mostly about boys, but would switch it up. It was in her nature to tease him about things that weren't going through his mind. When she'd poke at him, Sammy would swat her away. 

"It's not like that!" He'd say defensively.

Henrik would have to stop Willow because she would continue to annoy him even when Sammy was beginning to show visible signs of frustration. She'd poke at him a few more times before she saw the signs and would stop. Henrik noticed that Sammy had the ability to walk away so he could cool down- a skill that he himself didn't develop until he was 16.

Each day was a new adventure for all of them, their children bringing back drama from their school. Sarah couldn't bother to sugar coat her instructions when Sammy said he was getting bullied for "looking at boys weird." Though she had no experience in what he was currently going through, she tried to give him the best advice she could muster. Willow would watch as their father got on a knee, level with Sammy. He'd have a stern grip on his shoulder, looking into his eyes. 

Don't let anyone- and I mean anyone tell you you're weird for being different.

Sammy never did. He mostly decided to ignore the people that would poke at him as he'd walk the hallways. 

"Look at boys weird"? What the hell does that even mean? Sammy would ask himself as he fetched things from his locker. Willow would meet him in the corridor, shoulder checking him. She'd do it so frequently, Sammy would make a quick decision to either let her do it, or dodge her hit so she'd fumble. His choice always left her guessing. It was like a small game in between them.

"Ready to go?" She asked. Sammy grumbled quietly, pulling his bag from the locker. 

"Yeah-yeah."

"I'm only asking because you take forever." Willow groaned. Sammy pushed her gently, shutting his locker with the other hand.

 "I do not." His sister huffed gently, rolling her eyes. 

"Yeah. Tell that to the bus. We're late-again." Willow looked back. Sammy pushed her forwards, speed-walking down the hallway.

Perhaps it was fate that made him late, or maybe just by luck.

When they got out, Sammy slipped his sweater on, mumbling to Willow who was checking up and down the bus line. 

"Which one is ours? I always forget." His tone was sarcastic. 

"'Haha-it's 27. I'm not seeing it though." Willow craned her neck, still searching. Sammy glanced up at her, raising his eyebrows, huffing gently. It was then when he glanced to his right.