46: Brave and Stubborn

It was awkward when Willow returned to school, though she knew that extra work was to be put in for the years she missed. Many asked where she went, to which Sammy would quickly ward them off. Their roles seemed to reverse, with Sammy being Willow's hero. She didn't mind, finding most of it funny. 

Good to know your reputation stands. Willow muttered as they walked through the hall together. 

Sammy shrugged, fixing his rings so they wouldn't get caught on his bag. She noticed how the people looked at him, specifically the girls. Willow would laugh when Sammy would turn his head, ignoring them completely.

You the new Romeo?  Willow asked one day. Sammy scoffed, taking another bite of his packed lunch. 

I fucking wish I wasn't.

Willow, despite being gone for 2 year seemed to fit right back in. Most nights she spent at her desk, slaving away, trying to rub out a migraine. But, she always managed to get up before Sammy. Every page felt like a hundred pounds, but Willow managed to read every word and ace every test, though her grad year changed back to its original, she didn't mind it.

It was the start of 2042, and Henrik and Sarah were beginning the transition for their kids to go to college. Sarah was the one who watched both of her kids apply to Stratford University. At first, they laughed about it like it was a joke. It quickly became reality. The two were accepted, which made Sarah remember her younger days. She was 41 at that point, still having the spirit of her younger self when she was denied her future. Though she always remembered that she turned back into what she wanted at the start.

Somehow, to both Henrik's and Sarah's amazement, Willow managed to stay on top of everything. Though she'd never get a grade ahead of Sammy again, she didn't seem to mind.

The two would check up on each other, conducting long study sessions that made Henrik laugh about his schooling years. A time that he didn't miss. Willow would pace, reading a book for their final test while Sammy sat at his desk, grumbling gently at the words that were starting to make less and less sense the more he read them.

Willow would often catch him taking hour long breaks, sitting in the same chair, grumbling gently as he plucked the strings of his guitar. She'd flick her pencil at his hand, to which he'd dramatically look up, then anticlimactically mutter "ow." 

What are you doing? Sammy would let his head drop back, pushing his swiveling chair from side to side with his foot. 

Taking a break. Sammy would groan. 

You're supposed to be studying. Willow gripped her book tighter, feeling a little envious that he had the ability to take a break without anxiously thinking about the final tests coming up.

I already got into college. I'm pretty sure I'm okay. Sammy said, plucking another string. Willow groaned before going back down the hallway. She'd then retreat back to his room and pick up the pencil she threw. 

I need this. She'd mutter before walking out of his room.

Stress was piling on, but Willow knew that it only added to the edge of her new up and coming life. The days were slowly getting brighter, the environment of the city redirecting her focus to the large shining pillar that still stood after nearly four decades. Willow wondered where her life would take her after she was done with college, though she already had somewhat of a plan.

It felt right in her bones. Just the thought of it made the profession seem like something the world needed more of. It wasn't just the dream of a young child anymore, but a dream fueled with her experiences. The experiences that told her that everybody was vulnerable. Her dream was to serve and protect, just like the officers that saved her.

At first, Henrik was antsy, taking into account the dangers of becoming an officer in the city. Too many times did he see fights breaking out that involved guns and nasty words, but that didn't seem to deter Willow.

  Brave and stubborn. Henrik muttered. 

Just like your mother.

 What do you want to be? Willow asked one night. Her and Sammy were out on the porch, looking up at the few stars they could see.

  That question's scary. Sammy muttered, running his fingers through his hair before scratching at the stubble growing on his face. 

Why's that? Willow asked, glancing at her brother.

It seemed so far into the future. Too far. I didn't even have to think about it. Sammy paused, glancing down to his feet. 

It didn't scare me then. It does now.

It's not gonna be that bad. You just have to make a decision. Willow admitted, slowly sitting up. Sammy shook his head, clicking his tongue, sighing. 

It's not that bad for you. You know what you wanna do. Willow looked at her brother, seeing that he seemed hopeless- like he'd never go anywhere further than the University. 

You don't? Willow muttered, almost incredulous. 

Yeah. Nothing's stood out to me. Sammy huffed, closing his eyes. 

You'll get there. Willow sounded sure.

I know you will.