1. Red

Previously on Red / Otto Hightower

"Lady Aelsa I would like to officially offer you the full time position of hand of the king." Viserys remarked. Aelsa blinked back at him.

"What happened to Otto? Getting too old for it?" She mused. But inside she was filled with panic.

"His needs and the crown no longer align. I had to let him go." Viserys remarked. Aelsa had to push down her feeling for him. She wanted to be hand, she would be hand fully, no boundaries, just herself. But her hand moved to her stomach as if trying to rub away a stomach ache. "If you don't think you are up to the challenge-"

"I am." Aelsa assured urgently. "Thank you. I wont let you down."

"I know you wont." Viserys agreed. He held out the pin and she took it gripping it tightly in her hand.

"Thank you."

"Congratulations." Otto whispered as aelsa came up to him.

"I didn't know otto. Why didn't you tell me?" Aelsa whispered touching his cheek. He pulled back ashamed.

"I just found out and he wasted no time." Otto answered. He kept pulling away from her, he was a proud man and viserys made him look foolish and incompetent, he didnt want Aelsa to think less of him. He had to put distance between them. "It looks good on you." Otto added. Her fingers moved to the pin. "You will do well."

"Thank you. Im sorry- what made him think-"

"Rhaenyra no doubt. Alicent believed her and..." otto huffed out a breath.

"Where will you go?" Aelsa questioned reaching for his hand. He let her hold his hand, finding comfort in her gentle touch. He wanted to stay but he couldnt. He couldnt stay here and not be part of all this. But he never loved anyone like he loved Aelsa Lannister before. Leaving her was going to be the hardest part.

"Home." Otto scoffed. "I havent been to Old town in years. I can hardly call it home." He met her gaze and sighed. "Think of me fondly."

"Otto who?" Aelsa mused leaning in and kissing him. "I love you Otto." she whispered to softly for him to hear. She stared back at him as he headed off. Her fingers trailing over her stomach. A secret she was going to take to her grave. She needed to find a husband fast or else this child would be considered a bastard. She needed to find a husband before she started showing. One that would keep her in the capital. Otto could never know. It wasn't his fault yet, loving him was faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly. Loving him was like trying to change your mind once you're already flying through the free fall.

Losing him was blue like she had never known. Missing him was dark gray, all alone. Forgetting him was like trying know somebody you never met... But loving him was red.