4. The Unknown

"You seemed distracted today, Aelsa." Tyland remarked. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," she shook away the annoying thoughts lingering in her mind.

"Right, that was believable." Tyland agreed. "Come on cous, whats going on? A distracted hand isnt good for the realms."

"Just thinking of... Otto." She admitted.

"Why?" Tyland countered. Aelsa had kept Otto and herself a secret for a reason, she didnt want anyone to think she got her position as hand of the king by fucking her co hand. That wasnt how it started but after moons together... Aelsa rose her shoulders up to her ears.

"He was my friend."

"It's been ten years, Aels," Tyland countered. "He visited once, twice to see his grandchild."

Eight times. Otto had visited eight times. He purposefully avoided Aelsa all eight times, as if it hurt too much for him to be around her.

He heard that she got married, to Larys Strong, heard that she had three children and pain filled him. Otto had wanted to marry Aelsa, he loved her and yet her job came first, he respected that. But it was so soon after he left that she got married, he wondered if their time together was all a lie. If she was using him this whole time. If she did know. He didnt want to think that, he wanted to believe that what they had together was real but he still couldnt look at her, couldnt see her beautiful face as the years passed and see that she moved on, started a family like he wanted to with her. With someone else.

That was the biggest blow to the heart. Whenever he had brought it up she said no, her work came first. Now she had a family, it wasnt with him.

So he stayed away, Alicent didnt care for him anyways, he sent ravens to the children, gifts on name days. He visited after Alicent had a miscarriage. A little boy. Alicent was about to convince Viserys no more after that and now he was too weak to try for sex. Three children. Two boys and a girl. That was fine.

"Aelsa?" Tyland snapped his fingers in front of her. "Whats really going on?"

"Ollivander is doing great it lessons with Larys." Aelsa remarked instead. "He wants to become a master of something, wants to be master of laws I think this moon."

"As long as he doesnt come for my job." Tyland mused.

"We both know I would give him your job in a heartbeat if he asked." Aelsa countered.

"Wow thanks." Tyland grumbled. Aelsa nudged him. "I know." Tyland assured.

"Your job is safe my dear cousin." Aelsa assured. "As long as I am hand. Lannisters will always hold a seat in power."

"Strong," tyland coughed out. Aelsa gave him a pointed look. "Sorry... Strong." He repeated clearly.

"Yes thank you. I almost forgot im married." Aelsa mused.

"There he is now." Tyland remarked.

"Hi honey." Aelsa coed. Larys pressed a kiss to her cheek. "We were just talking about you."

"Oh? Anything interesting?" Larys questioned.

"No," tyland assured. Aelsa rolled her eyes.

"Official busniess or can I steal you?" Larys questioned.

"Steal away." Aelsa declared standing up. She hook her arm with his as they walked.

"Olli is learning about laws today." Larys informed her. "Says that might be a fun job. Making laws."

"It sure is." Aelsa agreed.

"He also decided that they should get a weekly allowance so he can work on money management in case he wants to be master of coin." Larys added.

"That's actually really smart. But maybe instead of actual money, we give them jellybeans." Aelsa decided.

" I think that's a great idea!" Larys agreed. They always agreed. They never fought. It was a strange thing to be so in sync with someone. They never argued when it came to the kids. They always came to a rational decision regarding the kids future. Aelsa supposed that once the kids were older, they had more difficult decisions to make they would butt heads more. But for now it was a moment of bliss.

Aelsa liked the fighting, the banter, the back-and-forth with otto. It kept her on her feet. She liked being his counterpart as hand of the king. At times she missed it. But she couldn't, and wouldn't take back this life that she had with larys. She loves her children. She loved larys. She couldn't avast for a better husband. He inspired her and let her grow. He never held her back. She always wanted what was best for her and the children. But as Ollivander grew up Aelsa couldn't help, but wonder as she saw him more and more of his blood father in his face what their lives would have looked like if otto hightower had stayed.

"Aelsa?" Larys pulled her from her thoughts. " what's on your mind my love?"

" the unknown." she admitted. She turned her face him, putting a hand on his cheek. "I think sometimes the unknown, is best left unknown." she admitted once again.

" what unknowns pray tell are clouding you're gorgeous mind?" Larys questioned.

" doesn't matter." she answered. " there's no point in thinking about it because I wouldn't change it anyways."

"It being?"

" I love you." Aelsa whispered kissing him gently. He didn't need to know it was on her mind. He didn't need to know what unknowns flooded her mind from time to time. Because at the end of the day she was his and she wasn't going anywhere. Larys was the happiest man alive and that was because of Aelsa Lannister.