41. Start A War

"Have the decency to look grateful." Alicent demanded as Aegon looked bored and drunk as they rode to his coronation. ''Do you know what has been done to give you this day? In an hour, you will be king." Alicent reminded him.

''And my father never wanted this." Aegon reminded her as he leaned back.

' That's not true.' Alicent assured.

''He had 20 years to name me heir and never did. Steadfastly, he upheld Rhaenyra's claim." Aegon hissed back. 

''He changed his mind.'' Alicent told him honestly but Aegon chuckled out.

''Oh... No... He could have, but he never did because he didn't like me." Aegon reminded her

''And yet, with his final breath, he whispered to me that you should take his place on the throne." Alicent told him yet again and Aegon chuckled but her face was serious.

''Do not toy with me, Mother." Aegon demanded.

''I speak the truth.'' Alicent pleaded for him to listen to her. ''Listen to me, Aegon. Your grandfather, the Hand, will try to impress on you that Rhaenyra should be put to the sword. You must reject this counsel. We must not rule with cruelty and callousness. For all her faults, she is your sister, your, your father's daughter..."

"Do you love me?" Aegon asked the bells tolling got louder.

"You imbecile." Alicent hissed leaning back.

"Make way for the royal wheelhouse!" the captain shouted as Aegon and Alicent approached. "Go on, move yourself! Come on!"

"People of King's Landing... today is the saddest of days." Aelsa announced. ''Our beloved king... Viserys the Peaceful... is dead." There was a murmuring of sad woes. ''But it is also the most joyous of days... for as his spirit left us... he whispered his final wish: that his firstborn son, Aegon... should succeed him." Aelsa declared and there was but a moment of silence before the crowd agreed and an applause broke out for their new king. Aelsa let out a breath of relief, she didnt want an angry mob today to deal with. 

"Guards!" the commander shouted. ''Out of the way! Move!'' They were getting into position for their new king to march down the aisle. They marched down the people parted and the rose their blade high for Aegon to pass under. Aelsa smiled as the doors opened and Aegon appeared. Aelsa glanced back at Alicent and her children. Otto stood beside them. Aelsa didnt want her children in the pits with everyone else. THought it was dangerous so they stood off to the side of the stage with Larys and Alaric. Safer from the masses she hoped. 

"Halt! Turn!'' The horns blared out. ''Present... arms!''

"It is your great good fortune and privilege to be here to witness this: a new day for our city... a new day for our realm. A new king... to lead us." Aelsa declared as Aegon marched through. As he passed the swords fell after him. Each step closer to something he never wanted. But Aelsa kept her eyes locked on him as he got closer and closer and he smiled a nervous smile as he ascended the steps towards her. 

''May the Warrior give him courage. May the Smith lend strength to his sword and shield. May the Father defend him in his need." Septon Eustace began. ''May the Crone lift her shining lamp and light his way to wisdom." Criston stepped forward the crown in hand

"The crown of the Conqueror, passed down through generations." Criston spoke as Aegon breathed deeply awaiting the crown be placed on his head. ''Let the Seven bear witness: Aegon Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne." Criston announced putting the crown on Aegon's head. He rose up and looked to his family. They bowed and curtsied to him softly as he looked from his wife, to his brother and then mother. Aegon looked to Aelsa as she stepped forward kissing his cheek, he held onto her hand. 

"You did it honey, now milk it." Aelsa whispered before turning to the crowd. 

''All hail His Grace, Aegon, Second of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm." Aelsa declared and there was a brief moment of silence before the bells tolled and the people cheered joyously.

"Aegon the King!" they declared, the crowd applauded, cheered as Aegon turned to them.

''Aegon the King!'' he rose up his sword for them, his smile growing. Aelsa smiled looking back at Lila and Atticus as they jumped up clapping their hands. This was exciting stuff. Ollivander heard there was an opening in the small council and was eager to fill it.

''Long live Aegon!'' but the happiness weaned as a dragon came breaking through the floor, people went flying, the crowd screamed as Meleys roared, footsteps thudding and thundering as their screaming echoed trying to get out but Meleys kept going. They ran for the doors but they were under different orders and closed them, trapping everyone inside.

"Open the doors!" Aelsa shouted nervously. ''Open the doors!'' Aelsa ran to her children as Lila screamed for dear life. Larys held onto her. 

"Get Helaena." Alicent demanded of Aemond as she moved in front of Aegon protecting him. Rhaenys stared down at her before Meleys opened his mouth, a scream so loud her breath so hot it made them falter back but no fire. Just that awful hiss and fear coursed through them all as the dragon took off. 

"We just started a war." Aegon realized.