34. Surprise

"Larys! What a surprise!" Aelsa declared.

"Is it?" Larys countered. Aelsa gave a nervous laugh.

"I suppose not." Aelsa admitted.

" are you all right my dear?" Larys questioned. " you were gone when I woke up and I feel like I've hardly seen you these past few days."

" you know everyone in the council is a complete another imbecile." Aelsa offered.

" true. Everyone except you my lovely, lovely wife." Larys agreed.

" I feel like an idiot." she mumbled under her breath.

" what's that?"

" nothing! Actually... something. Yes, there is something." Aelsa decided. Rip the bandage off. Take the whip right in the gut. The sooner she got it over with less she would feel like she was being eaten alive. But larys smiled and held her hand in such a comforting manner that made her even more queasy.

"Aelsa?" Larys cooed.

"Larys I have to tell you something-"

"Excuse me, my hand," Harrold came in.

"Yes?" Aelsa turned to him. She was glad for the interruption she could procrastinate this. It was only killing her inside, but truly how long could she slowly die way before she erupted in complete and total agony that she was a horrible human being. That she heard a man she truly loved all for some stupid fun.

"A scroll from Vaemond Velaryon." he held it out and Aelsa took it from him thanking him through an annoyed breath. She read through it and Larys saw her tense.

"We can talk later." Larys assured. "If you are busy?"

"I suddenly am. BUt-" She kissed him. Larys smiled before heading out. Otto  smiled a smug smile as he passed. One larys didn't understand until he glanced back at aelsa her face pinched as she glanced at otto.

Larys mind was left to unravel as he waited for his beloved aelsa to tell him that smug look otto gave him was nothing more than otto wanting aelsa. Not actually being able to claim her.

They gathered the council. Larys lingered. He couldnt leave. His mind needed to have that talk. But the more the council spoke of the upcoming petition that had to occur the more larys didnt want her to say the words.

Vaemond was coming to claim his crown. Aelsa rolled her eyes as she showed Alicent the raven.

"Corlys isnt dead though." Alicent countered.

Larys didnt want aelsa to say what happened. He wanted her to kiss him and he wanted her to never look at otto again. The could both pretend that the scenarios running through his mind didn't actually happen. But why else would she be acting so distance of strange not able to sleep? Leaving early in the morning as if she didn't want to be alone with him. Because, being alone with him was scary. Being alone with him and telling him what happened. And maybe she didn't want to break his heart.

"I know that." Aelsa agreed. "But he has been gone for years, his wife holds his seat on driftmark and as you know men are awful." Aelsa offered bluntly. "Not you honey," Aelsa assured glancing back at Larys. Larys smiled and decided they didnt need to talk about it.

Maybe it was nothing after all. If it was some thing, it was just a bad idea, right? That was why she was acting so strangely because it was a horrible idea. A huge mistake.

But they were married for over 10 years. They had three children. A home that they built.

Otto Hightower was in the past. Whether or not otto could see that I was still up for debate. But as Aelsa smiled back at larys he knew they would get through this. That when all hell broke loose when the world came crashing down on them, they would be OK in the end because they had each other.

"Meeting adjourned." Aelsa decided. " prepare for our guests. Otherwise we won't deal with this until they get here and we can hear everyone's petition."

That night they walked home hand-in-hand. They had supper as the children talked over each other discussing their days.  Larys held onto Aelsa hand under the table. She slipped her wine, sparing glances at him. He gave her a look. I looked that said we need not speak about it now, as if he could read her mind.

She tipped her head into him as the children continued to discuss every little thing that popped into their heads. When supper was finished, the kids cleared the table.

Aelsa poured larys another glass of wine. They moved to the couch. She curled up in his lap, kissing him gently when the door flew open. A drunk Alaric came walking.

" don't mind me!" he slurred. Aelsa chuckled. " I was trying really hard to impress a girl and I failed and now I'm here." he did a swooping bow before he stumbled off to his room.

" do you remember first love?" Larys pondered.

" I don't remember who I thought I was in love with, so maybe it wasn't love the very first one that is," aelsa clarified " what about you?"

" I think it was you."

" oh, come on the head of been someone else before I!" Aelsa exclaimed.

" sure they were crushes. Just like yound Alaric I had irrational crushed with pretty girls out of my league." Larys remarked. "But love. That was you."

Otto was her longest and most painful love. Many he was her first. Aelsa felt sick at the thought.

" it really doesn't matter who my first was because you are going to be my last."