12, the nagas as his natural food.

me. Garuda didn't know what he was feeling then. A mixture of joy, serenity, divinity.Vishnu's serene and divine smile instilled immediate peace into the raging mind of Garuda."Vijay Bhava," Vishnu blessed, and gave him a knowing look, with a mischievous wink, before vanishing from the spot.Garuda was amused. Why did the Lord of the Universe provide him with such honor? He and the king of birds from now on? He was happy, as well as grateful to the Lord.Resuming his flight, Garuda had gone only a few miles away when he saw a radiant light in front of him. As the light began to diminish, there stood Indra, the king of the devas, with a furious expression.The last thing Indra knew was Garuda stopping on a mountain area for some time.Devendra was unaware of Garuda's encounter with Lord Vishnu and the boons he had received.He was the god of strength and wisdom now."Greetings, Devendra. If you are here for the pot of amrita, I apologize. I can't give the pot to you unless the task given to me is fulfilled.""Do you know what you are doing, Vinatasuta? The nagas have nothing but malice in them. They asked for the amrita for their own personal desires, to hurt the universe," Indra said, his eyes blazing."I—"Garuda began but was cut off in the middle by Devendra's furious tone."Either you give me the amrita, or I shall make you a victim to my vajra again.""So be it, but I am not going to give you the amrita unless my mother is free," Garuda said, his voice filled with love for his mother and determination unwavering.Indra, without a second thought, aimed his thunderbolt at Garuda.It, like it had previously in the war, hit its target. But again, a single golden feather fell off Garuda's wings, where the vajra had hit.Indra now knew for a fact that Garuda wasn't ordinary. Well, how can the son of Rishi Kashyapa be an ordinary being? He himself was the son of the Maharishi.Indra's fury died down as he now had a broken expression on his face."Look, Vinatasuta. If the amrita gets into the naga's hands, they'll misuse its powers. They'll be immortals. If that happens, there will be great trouble for the universe. That is the reason why Lord Vishnu didn't share the amrita with the asuras or the nagas.""Please, give the amrita back."Garuda felt his heart melting instantly."I must fulfill my task to free my mother from Nagamata Kadru's slavery. If I don't bring the amrita to them, they will never grant freedom to my mother, Devaraj. I, the previous day, did not insult you or your mother. I just asked you to imagine yourself in place of me and Devamata Aditi in the place of my mother. How miserable would it be when from the day of your birth, you see your mother in hardship and misery, tormented by the nagas?"Indra now knew his mistake. But he was not ready to believe Garuda."And I swear upon the Lord of the Universe that I haven't partaken a single drop of amrita, for I do not want it. My only goal is to free my mother. I am not greedy for the nectar that you hold so precious, Devendra."Garuda swore, and Indra realized Garuda's truthfulness and love then."I am sorry, Vinatasuta. I agree for you to take the amrita to the palace. But how will we assure that it won't get to the naga's hands?""I will take care, Devendra."Garuda told his idea to Indra, who agreed readily."I am really pleased with your honesty and your selfless nature, Vinatasuta, ask me for anything that you desire."Indra asked, his eyes that saw Garuda like a thief now seeing him in a new perspective.Garuda thought for a while, and he started to feel hungry.The nagas, the nagas. They had tormented his mother all the way till here. He shall punish them in a way they'd hesitate to do evil in his presence ever again."May the nagas be my natural food."Garuda asked, and Indra raised his hands in blessing.Thus, did start the friendship of Garuda and Devendra.