Uncertainty Builds Aspiration

You were still reeling after the three of you discreetly parted ways. Jimin had brought you to an empty bench near the tree while he went to get you something to drink, and there you sat, watching the party commence unawares.

While glasses clinked and laughter spieled, you stared across the room in a daze, listening to the crackling fireplace while foreign words played through your mind; the thoughts only pausing as Jimin came back into view, a glass of water in hand.

“Noona, drink this, okay?” His smile was gentle, but concerned and waning like a wilting flower, eyes still red and puffy from your conversation outside.

“I just— I don’t understand,” you breathed, taking the water without drinking, dimly aware of the cold on your fingers.

Nodding, the fox took a seat by your side, pulling you to lay on his shoulder. He didn’t know what to say either. What could someone say?

Your mind raced, remembering the smell of the sickly sweet smoke blowing in your face as the man broke the tension with one sentence. “I’m a cop,” he explained, pinching his mini-cigar between ringed fingers. “An undercover agent in the FBI’s trafficking unit, specifically.”

Frowning, you let that sink in, watching the swirls of smoke dancing in hazy gold lights while Jimin answered for you. “Do you have any kind of proof of that?”

The man rolled his eyes, blowing out a lungful. “Did you miss the ‘undercover’ part? If I carried my badge on me, I wouldn’t last ten minutes.”

“You said you’re in the trafficking department of the FBI, so what’s your affiliation with my father?” Your throat tightened as you asked the question, but deep down you knew it couldn’t be avoided. There was a connection there that Mr. Sleazeball wasn’t saying. 

Silence filled the air, the man gauging your reaction before he finally spoke. “People are funding these illegitimate activities. There is no definitive proof beyond some questionable bank trails, but your father is a person of interest.”

Well, that wasn’t quite what you were expecting. “That can’t be right. He’s anti-hybrid." Surely he meant large corporations, and not your father? There couldn't be any affiliation, it didn't make sense. And what about KEY, were they not rumored to traffic as well? No matter how you looked at it, your father being involved just didn’t add up.

The cigar bud was tossed to the snow-covered deck, a nervous energy bubbling to his surface. “Look, I’m taking a big risk here by telling you only because you’re officially a victim in this case. All I know is that somehow those guys had a connection to your father’s business, so I’m just investigating. Nothing’s official.”

An obligatory handshake was shoved towards you—which Jimin took with attitude—then the man took his exit, rounding the outer deck of the building rather than heading directly inside and leaving you with one simple question that would continue to haunt you.. what would you do if your father was involved?

As if a trauma response, your body went on autopilot for the remainder of the ‘vacation.’ If you could even call it that. You didn’t tell the boys either, Jimin said it’d stress them further, so you bottled your spiraling thoughts and planned to dive into investigating once you’d settled in at home.

The idea of home seemed foreign.

Returning to normal sounded like an unintelligible concept.