The Sweet Scent Of Pumpkin And Crisp, Sunburnt Leaves

Maze

/māz/

noun;

If a labyrinth represents the soul, then the maze represents life. There is no escape except the end, you will get lost and run into obstacles. The maze shifts as you move through it because it’s life. Should you stop to complain about every wall? Or keep pushing through to the end?

It was an early morning for you and the rest of the household, but once your hormones were back to safe levels, you knew you needed to corral the boys and sit them down for a talk. An act that took much more maneuvering than you expected.

After your needed—but curt—explosion, they had all but retreated into their phones. Everyone but your clingy tiger, that is, who had nearly smothered you to death the first night they were allowed back into your room. Apart from him, the others began giving you more space than necessary, practically avoiding you with their noses connected to their screens like a bunch of angsty teens.

With everyone finally in one room and a few minutes spent interrupting Tae’s aggressive scenting session to peel him off of you, you finally managed to coax them into conversation about their sudden onset of introversion. You learned—much to your surprise—that a few had been feeling guilty, awkwardly apologizing for their behavior and property damage; Tae needing a kick to his shin by Jimin before the tiger's low voice shyly gruffed a muffled, “mm” in very much Taehyung fashion for apologies.

You still couldn't believe he handed you his favorite stuffed elephant as a sacrifice and peace offering. Something you were more than grateful for when the conversation steered in a different direction. Nearly lost your voice from arguing and making your stance known that you didn't give a damn how much they ate or took up space in your already tiny apartment, you wanted them to stay for as long as they desired. That ultimately you wanted it to be their choice if they left, not because of a reasoning they came to to make things easier on you.

By the happy chittering and fighting for any spot they could hug that wasn't being possessively covered by Taehyung, you had no doubts Jimin and Jin were permanent roommates. It was the others you weren't too sure about, but that was something to worry about another day. Worries you wanted to replace with adoring memories and happy moments.

“Why are we doing this again?” Namjoon grumbled dryly from behind, his spaded tail disturbing the rustling dead leaves as you looked over the ample amount of multi-colored gourds, eye-balling them for the perfect one. 

“Because,” you huffed, releasing a calming breath while you focused intently on inspecting the pumpkin you just plucked from the ground, examining the shape or for any soft spots. “Tomorrow is our first Halloween together, so we’re getting the full experience.” 

After deeming the pumpkin satisfactory, you glanced over your shoulder to find Namjoon and Yoongi with their eyes trained on your back with an air of indifference, Yoongi blinking with judgment while Joon lifted a shapely brow. 

“What?” You groused, standing to face them directly before kicking a clod of dirt from your shoe. 

The wolf was the first to move. His button nose scrunched behind his black fabric mask, giving a sniff before his charcoal hues shifted from your face to take in the others scattered about before his reddened hands were promptly stuffed in his pockets. The only response the wolf would yield.

Pouting over the obvious protest against your Halloween spirit, you turned your gaze to the lion who appeared ready to answer your question when he was interrupted by Jimin’s sing-songy voice cutting him off. “Noona, is this a good one?” He preened, drawing your attention to the spectacle he was making.