Special Chapter

Danzel Gray Dawson

Sienna's pregnancy journey

I was heading home, the familiar route stretching out before me, when a notification buzzed on my phone. It was a text from my wife. Curious, I paused in my journey to read her message.

From: my wife ❤️

my wife ❤️: Danzel

Ako: yes, love

Ako: are you craving something?

my wife ❤️: yeah

Ako: what is it, baby?

my wife ❤️: I want the Soybean curb with caramelized brown sugar topped with squishy tapioca pearls

I couldn't help but stifle a laugh as I read her message. My wife has her moments of humor, that's for sure.

Ako: oh, taho? you want taho?

my wife ❤️: yes, i want the taho kay kuyang naglalako okay?

Ako: Baby, it's already midnight.
I can't find that anywhere now.

Ako: pwedeng sa mall na lang ako bumili?

my wife ❤️: ang kulit danzel, sabi ko sa naglalako nga

Ako: but baby...

my wife ❤️: Ok, fine 🙄

my wife ❤️: just hurry home, I'm craving my taho.

Ako: okay, love, see you at home

Ako: i love you

my wife ❤️: 👍🏻

Ako: no i love you too?

my wife ❤️: If you bring me taho, then I'll say I lly too.

Ako: alright, love, i'm going to get your taho na

I sighed to myself after that conversation with my wife. She's six weeks pregnant now, and her cravings can be a handful. Not to mention the morning sickness and mood swings.

I recalled a night I had to work late at the office. I had informed her I'd be late, and she seemed understanding. But when I finally got home and tried to enter our room, it was locked. I knocked three times, and you wouldn't believe what she did.

She slipped a note under the door that read, "wag kang maingay, natutulog na kami ng anak mo, matulog ka sa labas tutal mas mahal mo papers mo kesa samin." I didn't know whether to laugh or what. I didn't bother her after that, just slept in the guest room. The next morning, she complained why I didn't sleep beside her.

Sometimes, I just can't figure out what's going on in Sienna's mind. But it's alright. I love her and our child, so I'll give her everything she wants, even if it's sometimes a bit strange.

Arriving home with a paper bag cradling her favorite taho, I stepped through the door and called out eagerly.

"Love?"