Chapter 41

Sienna Loren Monroe

"See you soon, my future doc. I always believed in you. Good luck on your upcoming new adventure. Love, Danzel." Claire's voice trembled slightly as she read aloud the faded words from the letter Danzel had given her nine years ago.

"Claire!"

"What?" she teased, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"What do you mean, 'what'? Where did you find that?" I asked, lunging playfully for the paper she held, but she danced out of reach.

"Oh, just somewhere there," she grinned, gesturing vaguely towards where she had unearthed the long-lost note. I sighed, scanning the clutter of my room. I was in the midst of packing; in two days, I'd be flying back to the Philippines.

"Give it here," I warned, a smile tugging at my lips, but Claire simply laughed and darted away.

"Claire!" I called after her, laughter bubbling up despite my mock frustration.

"Ba ba ba ba," a tiny voice cooed nearby. My heart melted as I looked down at Claire's son, nestled in my arms.

I bent down, pressing a kiss to his soft forehead. "Sorry, little one, your mom's a troublemaker," I murmured, a tender smile spreading across my face as I carried him.

He was turning one soon, Claire's precious son.

"Shall we go downstairs?" I asked him gently, but he just giggled and babbled in response.

Going down the stairs, I spotted my sister perched on a stool, watching our father expertly maneuvering pots and pans.

"Here's your little guy," I handed Stephen over to her and swiftly retrieved the letter she had been examining.

"Ate!"

"Itatapon ko na to" saad ko

"KJ mo Ate, ayaw mo non, may remembrance ka from your first love" pang asar neto saka humalakhak

"God, Claire, you can't move on?"

"No, never in my life mag move on sa lovelife mo."

"Hey, hey, stop fighting in front of my grandson," Mommy scolded us as her personal nurse gently pushed her wheelchair across the room.

It had been a year since we moved here, and only then did we discover Mom's heart condition. That day, I finally understood why she insisted on us being here. And thank God, Mommy was getting better, her health improving day by day.

"Good afternoon, Madam and Mister. To Maam Sienna," our guard greeted with a warm smile, handing over a bouquet of pink astilbe, their delicate petals seeming to shimmer in the afternoon sunlight.

"Thanks," I replied, taking the flowers with a grateful nod.

"Wow, another flower," Claire exclaimed, her eyes widening in surprise as she admired the arrangement.

Yeah, another flower. Since we arrived here, someone sends me flowers like this every month. Claire even used to look up their meaning and said it signifies 'I will be waiting for you.'

"Sienna, I think you know kanino galing yan," Mommy said softly, her gaze gentle as she cradled Baby Stephen, who giggled in her arms.

I had one person in mind, but I didn't want to assume. The mystery behind the flowers was both heartwarming and slightly unnerving, a reminder of someone from my past whose presence continued to linger, even from afar.

"I don't know, Mom"

"You know that, anak, you're just denying it."

"Maybe when you go home in the Philippines, you'll find the real answer."