Chapter 37

Sienna Loren Monroe

As I woke up, the remnants of last night's joy lingered, warming my heart like a gentle embrace. It was a memory worth cherishing.

I rose from my bed and went through my usual morning rituals. As I scrolled through my Instagram feed, a smile tugged at my lips. Post after post from my classmates captured the excitement of the previous night's event. Amidst the sea of tags and mentions, one story stood out — Danzel's. There it was, a snapshot of us in his car from last night, immortalized in pixels and memories.

Hahakbang nasa ako sa hagdanan ng marinig ko si Claire.

"Ate, pinapatawag ka nila Mommy sa kwarto nila" walang buhay na pagkasabi niya, agad naman akong umakyat habang nakasunod siya sa'kin

"Bakit daw?" tanong ko sa kanya at nagkibit balikat lang siya kaya nagtataka ako kung bakit

When we reached the third floor, I went straight to their room's door and knocked. Mommy immediately called for us to come in. As I entered, I noticed Mommy's serious expression, while Daddy just shook his head. I felt nervous because of that.

"Why did you call me?" I asked, stifling a yawn as I was still sleepy.

"Please sit down, Sienna," Mommy said, so I obediently took a seat on the couch in front of them. I could feel Claire sitting beside me.

"Bakit p–" naputol ang sasabihin ko ng magsalita si Mommy.

"We're going to migrate to California," Mommy said abruptly, leaving me stunned.

Migrate? To California? Why? What for?

"Po? bakit po? and when?" I asked in rapid succession.

"After your moving up," Mommy replied simply.

"But Mom–"

"I know, Sienna. I understand it's hard to leave your friends here, so we wanted to tell you early, so you and Claire can say a proper goodbye to your friends."

"Pero Mommy naman bakit kailangan pa natin pumunta doon? maayos naman tayo dito ah" pahayag ko

"Doon n'yo na lang ipagpapatuloy ang pag aaral nyong dalawa" sagot ni Mommy kaya napatingin ako kay Claire at kita ko rin ang lungkot sa mata niya

"But Mom, our friends are here, sanay kami dito, why do we have to migrate? We're really okay here," I pleaded with Mommy, my voice tinged with desperation and disbelief.

"Sienna, please," Mommy mumbled, her brow furrowed as she rubbed her nose bridge, a sign of her own internal struggle.

"Mommy, please, I don't want to leave, I want to stay here," I begged again, my words shaky with emotion.

"No," Mommy said firmly, her tone leaving no room for argument as she turned away.

I glanced over at Daddy, searching for any sign of disagreement, but his silent nod confirmed he was aligned with Mom's decision.

"I'm giving you all the time you need to say goodbye to your friends, spend time with them, have a vacation together, anything you want," Mom continued, her voice softening just a fraction. "But after your moving up, we will fly to California and that's final."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to comprehend the enormity of her words. "Why do we have to?" I whispered to no one in particular, feeling the weight of impending change pressing down on me.

"Are we coming back here?" I ventured, my voice barely audible, hoping against hope for a comforting answer.

"Maybe yes, maybe no," Mom replied cryptically, and I bit my lip hard to stave off the tears threatening to spill over.