Chapter 17

He laid a cold hand on my shoulder and I felt a sharp pain through my eyes.
My black, colourless eyes.
Then I began to hear something, a rhythm of voices, of dead.
There were cries and mutters,
Whispers and shouts.
Groans and yelps,
Calls and warnings.
Warnings of themselves.

"I do not wish to harm you," he whispered, stroking my hair, "Just to show you who I am."
Who-whose are the voices?" I asked, still forced to listen to their constant cries.
"The ones who died at my hand. They forever haunt me.
Let me show you."

Hiccups POV.

-(Six years ago.)-

"Get up son. It's a big day," my father ordered impatiently.
"But it's only four o'clock, and what have I got to do today?" I replied tiredly.
But I was wide awake as soon as he became angrier.

There was a large thwack as Stoick's fist connected with the small of my back, and I was up in an instant.
After all, I already had several bruises there.
As I began to get dressed, my father went downstairs, most likely to get a bottle of mead and something to eat.

He woke me up early every day, and made me wash his clothes, his car, clean 'his' house and polish his trophies he won for doing 'great things so great that even the queen was in awe'.
He also made me cook his food for him, and everything else you could possibly think of.

I was fifteen, and I lived in England (sorry but I'm English, soooooooooooooooo yeah) with my 'amazing' father. He was rather... loving. And incredibly caring.
As I traipsed downstairs, I began my chores, even though some of them were upstairs.

Three hours later, I had finished.
"Son! Ye won't be slacking today. Ye'll be in school, for all the six hours," he growled, and then he put his hands on my shoulders.
"Do ye UNDERSTAND?"
"Yes," I muttered, though I was still going to stay out of school, simply because he'd told me not to.

So I grabbed my bag at quarter past eight (a lot of time skips I know) and started walking towards Berk High.
Being a darkness faction member is difficult, you know. Well no you don't because they're all supposedly dead.

But I'm alive.

I remember my first day.

"Go on Hiccup. I'll be thinking of you," Valka whispered softly into my ear, as she hugged me tightly. I was about eleven, and was at home, getting ready to leave. I was getting the bus.

-----

"Hi Hiccup," a girl looked at me and smiled. She had green eyes and dark hair, and seemed younger than me.
"I'm a tier 21.3 green representative.
What about you?" She asked, still smiling.
"Tier 100 darkness," I replied proudly.

A group of children standing close to us burst into laughter, and so did the girl.
It suddenly appeared to me that she wasn't smiling out of kindness.
"Hi Hiccup," she spat my name as if she loathed me. "I'm Heather."

I still remember her awful smile now. Sometimes I'll see her, hanging around the gunnell next to school.
It was what I did until school started, then I'd leave. I didn't need to do to that place anyway.

Darkness representatives don't need education - they are born with a self-developing mind.

"Ooh look who it is," I turned to see Heather with a group of 'friends'. I was on the road, about four fifths of the way there, so they couldn't do much without someone seeing.
I glanced around dramatically, asking,
"Oh no, what do you mean 'look who it is'?! Who is it? Will you save me Heather from whoever it is with your terrible *cough* amazing powers?"

Snotlout, who was standing next to her, kicked me in the stomach, using his bad strength ability. As soon as that happened I returned the favor with a punch that sent him crashing to the ground.
With that they left. Heather shouted something as she walked away:
"Astrid Hofferson wants to talk to you by the way. Something about leaving."

Astrid Hofferson was an idiot, and everyone knew her even though she was a second year at Berk High.
The teachers liked her because she 'helped people' and was 'reliable' and 'hard working'.
The students knew her for the same reasons.
I knew her as an ugly, optimistic, cheating teachers' pet.

I strolled down the gunnell, past several girls who stepped back in astonishment when they saw me.
You see, a lot of the people who go to this school are scared of me.
They might not believe I'm tier 100, but they know I'm a higher tier than them.
Is it bad if the only ones who aren't scared of me are younger than me?

Perhaps it is because they don't understand.