Chapter 9

In Solitude, far at the other end of Skyrim, the General and the Ambassador were having a similar conversation about the Dragonborn.

News had spread fast throughout the province, of a Dragonborn that had appeared apparently in response to the return of the dragons. Word in Whiterun had it that the dragons could be killed, but only the Dragonborn could ensure they would stay dead.

"My sources tell me it's a young Nord, who goes by the name of Emmet. A survivor of Helgen. The same young man you were so hasty to outlaw, perhaps?" Sirius needled. The General growled his annoyance. "This rather complicates things."

"I'll take some of my men and retrieve him myself."

"Storming High Hrothgar? You'd bring all of Skyrim down on your head, for that."

"I'm not daft," Callaghan snarled. "Just a few men. We'll wait for him at the foot of the mountain, in Ivarstead, and speak with him there. Convince him to come with us. We can certainly equip him better than the rebels can- he'd have the whole of the Legion at his back. I doubt the rebels number even a hundred, anymore."

"Would do to improve our image here, having him on our side," Sirius agreed. "Actually, General, I'd like for you to bring an invitation to my party with you, when you retrieve him. I would very much like the chance to get to know the young man."

"As you like. Just be quick about it, we'll have to leave before sundown if we're to make it to Ivarstead by the time he comes back down."

Emmet  slowed as he approached the bottom of the Steps, and instead of Lucy  waiting there for him, he saw a handful of Imperial soldiers- and the  General

Emmet slowed as he approached the bottom of the Steps, and instead of Lucy waiting there for him, he saw a handful of Imperial soldiers- and the General. Every inch of his body went cold.

He'd been found.

It was too late to flee of course, they'd already spotted him. And even if he'd had a moment to try, he hadn't yet mastered stealth enough to actually get away. He clenched and unclenched his fists as he descended the last few steps, attempting a smile as he approached them. "Can I help you?"

"Emmet of Helgen?" the General rumbled, and he nodded.

"Yes...?"

"You're the Dragonborn." He almost sounded displeased by this fact. Emmet clasped his hands together, trying not to pass out from sheer terror.

"I'm sorry about what happened at Helgen, they didn't really give me a choice-!" he blurted out, but the General waved him off.

"Never mind that. You've been pardoned." Emmet blinked at that. Well, it wasn't a declaration of innocence, but he supposed a pardon was the next best thing. "We need you to come with us, Dragonborn."

"But I-" He cut himself off; even he knew he was about to reveal too much. "Okay. Um. Why?"

"We're going to need your help in putting an end to these dragons."