Chapter 41

Emmet was out cold by the time Kitty made it back to the College, completely wiped out by the day's lessons. "What did you find out?" Lucy asked.

"The Elder Scroll's in Blackreach," Kitty told her.

"What's Blackreach?"

"Some Dwemer city. Or. Collection of cities? I don't know, it wasn't made very clear, but the way in is through Alftand. Septimus gave me the key."

"Feels like we're finally getting somewhere," Lucy said, and Kitty sighed.

"Ugh, I know. Why in the world would the Divines give us a Dragonborn to stop the end of the world then make it so damn hard to actually do that??"

"That's not the only problem we have."

"What?"

"There's a Thalmor here."

Kitty was stunned into silence. "Wha... I don't understand. Why would the Arch-Mage let one of them in when he's been so careful to keep the College out of the conflict?"

Lucy shrugged. "I really have no idea, but it seems he's been nosing about and annoying your Master Wizard."

"Not that it takes much to annoy Mirabelle, but yes, this is bad. They must be looking for something here." She whined and thumped her head against the wall. "Shame we don't have Sirius to pester an answer out of, anymore."

"You think we should stick around, see what they're up to?"

"I don't know," Kitty pouted. "I'm ready to be done with this whole dragons ordeal, but I also really don't want the Thalmor to get their hands on... whatever it is they're looking for."

"Let's stick around a while longer, then. Tolfdir says Emmet's doing well with the lessons, I'd hate to drag him away so soon."

Kitty nodded. "Sounds good."

General  Callaghan made his way to the Embassy

General Callaghan made his way to the Embassy. He was done with sending messages; if they were going to blow him off, they'd have to do it to his face. He fought down a satisfied smirk when the guard at the gate straightened up at the unexpected sight of him. "General-"

"I'm here to see the Ambassador," he growled. "I have an important matter regarding the rebels to discuss with him, and I've had quite enough of my requests going ignored."

"I'm afraid the Ambassador is unavailable," the guard sneered at him.

"Unacceptable," the General snarled back. "Either you can go and get him for me, or I'm going in myself. Regardless of your choice I'm not leaving until I've seen him." The guard glowered at him, and he glared right back. Damned elves should have learned long ago they couldn't intimidate him. Finally the guard huffed and left, heading inside. He was only a couple steps behind, refusing to wait outside.

The guard whirled on him. "I don't recall giving you permission to enter-"

"I changed my mind. I'm coming in anyway."

"You can't just do that-"

He leaned in close, not caring that the elf had a few inches on him. "Watch me."

"Fine," the elf snarled, and marched to the solar, the General in tow. He stopped at the Ambassador's office and knocked sharply before saluting. "Sir, the General's here to see you." The General let himself in, and froze when he saw Ondolemar sitting at Sirius' desk.

"Where's Sirius?" he demanded, confused.

"Our former First Emissary went rogue, it seems," Ondolemar informed him. "Took out quite a few of our soldiers before we finally managed to put him down."

General Callaghan stood in stunned silence for a few moments, before finally finding his voice again. "So he's...?"

"Gone, I'm afraid. The Council has named me First Emissary in his stead."

"I see," he said stiffly. "I apologize for causing a commotion. I'll see myself out."

Something about the whole situation really wasn't adding up. Sirius had been wary, certainly, but there were no indications whatsoever that he meant to betray the Thalmor. He'd seemed as loyal as ever. It had to have been someone else who made the first move, likely Ondolemar himself. The smug bastard.

And now Sirius was...

He paused in the receiving room, where Sirius always held his parties, and glanced around. Intellectually, he knew he ought to be happy to find the Ambassador was dead. The Thalmor liked to pretend otherwise, for reasons beyond him, but he'd gotten to know Sirius well enough to know he was the brains behind most of the Thalmors' victories (and ruthlessness). To know he could no longer be a threat...

And yet he couldn't ignore the thought that Sirius had also been the one person to keep everything from really falling apart.

He'd have to send word back to the Imperial City, and warn the Emperor.