Chapter 47

Emmet proved a challenge to wake- the young man slept like a log. It took 'divine intervention' from Benny to jolt him into motion, at which he looked both apologetic and reproachful. Definitely not appreciative of being woken up at some gods-forsaken hour of the morning. "Sorry," Lucy said. "We really need to get moving, though."

"What's going on?"

"I don't think it's safe for you to keep helping Rex," Benny started, figuring it was best to get right to the point.

"What do you mean?" Emmet frowned at him, not sure he was liking where this was going.

"Whatever Rex did to forge your connection so he can come back to the mortal plane, it's been slowly draining you. Haven't you wondered why you've felt more tired than usual lately?"

Emmet's frown intensified. "It's because we've been working so hard on finding dragons and new Shouts. Rex is my friend, he wouldn't-"

"Rex was also a Dragon Priest, and a follower of Hermaeus Mora," Lucy pointed out. "Remember that conversation?"

"Just because he was doesn't mean he still is-"

"And I'd love to believe this draining thing wasn't intentional, but intentional or not it's still there and we need to do something about it before it gets any worse," Benny interrupted. "And we need to hurry, I know Mora knows we're plotting something but I don't know how ready he is for us to act yet. The longer we wait, the less chance we'll have of actually succeeding."

"Succeeding at what?"

"Separating you and Rex, and getting you back out of there. Mora's wanted to Collect you since it was first revealed you're Dragonborn."

"But... why?" Emmet curled in on himself. "It's not like I'm really smart or anything..."

"His thing might be knowledge but he's still a Daedric Prince, and as the Last Dragonborn, you're a tempting trophy. I mean he already has the First, of course he'd want to complete his 'collection'."

Emmet shuddered at that. "Alright... Alright, let's go. I don't want to be 'collected'."

Benny nodded. "Alright, sit tight, this is going to feel a bit weird-"

Their surroundings melted and blurred away, reality reshaping itself into a completely different environment. "That wasn't too bad, was it-"

Benny paused, realizing the others weren't with him. "Oh-" He glanced around wildly in search of his mortal friends- he had definitely brought them along with them, he could still vaguely sense them in Apocrypha somewhere, but they were certainly nowhere near him. Instead he found himself trapped in a complex cage of Mora's making with no apparent way out.

"Well, fuck."

They  jolted at the sudden displacement, Emmet's dimly lit room replaced by an  equally dimly-lit plane of Oblivion

They jolted at the sudden displacement, Emmet's dimly lit room replaced by an equally dimly-lit plane of Oblivion. "Urgh," Lucy complained. Emmet groaned in commiseration. Kitty glanced around in wide-eyed awe, trying to resist the urge to pounce on the scattered papers that were kicked up by non-existent wind. "Benny. 'Weird' is a hell of an understatement. I think I'm going to be sick."