Chapter 29

Everyone had remained gathered around the table after lunch- even Sirius, much to the rebels' chagrin. Vitruvius had merely waved off their concern. "The dragons are everyone's problem, not just the Master Builders'. He has as much right to be here as anyone else."

They had exhausted the old wizard's personal knowledge of the dragons without really getting any further in figuring out how to defeat Alduin, but he had one last resource to offer. He set his well-worn leatherbound journal on the table, flipping it open. "I wasn't idle, all my years in hiding. The day the Blades had to run, there was so little I could save of our library, but I wrote down everything I could remember. And one of those things was a short passage about Sky Haven Temple. I had long thought of searching for it, but until then, it was merely a daydream. We were kept busy enough as it was. But then we all scattered, and I figured, if I could find it, it would be the best location to evade the Thalmor. It took me a long time to get my hands on all the titles that mentioned the Temple- I had thought to write those down, at least. And so I narrowed it down to Skyrim, then narrowed it down further to the Reach. Eventually I managed to find it, but alas, could not gain entry. The ancient Dragonguard- the predecessors of the Blades- had set a lock so that only a Dragonborn could open the door."

"What's so important about Sky Haven Temple?" Mayhem asked.

"It's where the Akaviri built Alduin's Wall, to set down in stone all their accumulated dragon lore; a hedge against the forgetfulness of centuries. Despite the far-reaching fame of Alduin's Wall at the time- one of the wonders of the ancient world- its location was lost. Conquest after conquest of Tamriel had destroyed most of what the Akaviri had left behind for future Blades to find, until only scraps of clues remained."

"What's Alduin's Wall?"

"It was where the Dragonguard recorded all they knew of Alduin. Part history, part prophecy. As such, it may tell us how we can defeat him."

"Then we shouldn't waste any time!" Lucy said. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready to start being more proactive about these dragons. We should take a team to Sky Haven Temple and see what Alduin's Wall has to tell us."

'I agree,' the Knight signed. 'Mayhem, I'm putting you in charge. I'll let you pick your team, and you can leave as soon as you're ready.'

"Yes, sir!" Mayhem said, and saluted. "Lucy, I know you're coming with me for sure, but do I have any other volunteers?"

"Ooh me!" Kitty squealed, bouncing in her seat and waving her hand in the air.

"Count me in too," Bruce added.

"Aye, and me, lass. I've had enough of sittin' about." Mayhem cast one last glance around the table, then nodded.

"Alright, that's seven of us, then. Gear up, I want to be out within the hour."

"I have a surprise for you," Lucy said as they left the dining hall, and dragged Emmet to the forge

"A surprise??" Emmet gasped, letting her pull him along without protest. No one had ever given him a surprise before. "What is it??"