Chapter 65

"If it's all the same to you," Kitty spoke up as they left Whiterun, "I think I'm going to track down the Knight and let him know about this plan. Hopefully he'll still be at that glade and I won't have to go running across half of Skyrim to find him."

"That's a great idea," Emmet agreed. "We'll meet you back at High Hrothgar?"

"You got it!" She trotted away back toward the south, as the other three started their trek back to Ivarstead. They made it to the village in record time, and Emmet didn't stop for even a moment, heading straight for the mountain path. Lucy raised her eyebrows at Iron-Tail as he chuckled to himself.

"He be a man on a mission," the Argonian joked.

"I'll say."

They just barely made it to High Hrothgar before night fell. Arngeir was surprised to see them back so soon. "What happened to your other two companions?"

"They had other matters to attend to," Lucy answered. "They should be rejoining us soon."

"We need your help," Emmet continued. That got Arngeir's attention.

"With what?"

"We need to capture a dragon-"

"We are not warriors," Arngeir interrupted. "What is overlooked in the Dragonborn is not permitted to any other followers of the Way of the Voice."

"We've already got that part covered," Lucy huffed. "The problem is that Jarl Balgruuf can't help us while the war rages."

"I see," he mused. "The dragon will lead you to Alduin, but without the Jarl's help..."

"Both sides respect the Greybeards. They will listen," Emmet insisted. Arngeir sighed.

"Paarthurnax has made his decision to help you. This is the road we have to walk. Even the Greybeards must bend to the winds of change, it seems." He finally nodded. "So be it. We will host this peace council. You deliver the message. If they will listen, I will do what I can to bring them to terms."

"Thank you."

Kitty paused  when she finally spotted the entrance to the glade

Kitty paused when she finally spotted the entrance to the glade. She wasn't the only one to arrive. Just ahead of her, and so far unaware of her presence, was a group of vampires with their death hound. She grinned to herself; those vampires were in for a rude awakening, if they thought they could take Mayhem and the Black Knight easily. She called forth her magic and crept in after them. There would be no escape for them.

It didn't take long for the sounds of fighting to reach her ears. She was certain they had things well in hand, but... "Cover him!" she shouted as she raised a hand, a small ball of light in her palm growing brighter by the second. The Knight shoved Balthazar behind a boulder, shielding the vampire with his own body. He barely had time to protest as an impossibly bright flash briefly stole his vision, and he could hear the pained screaming of his kin.

They were quickly silenced.

"What was that?" Balthazar gasped as the Knight released him, staring wide-eyed at the Khajiit.

"That was a sun spell," Sirius murmured in awe. "Where did you learn that?"

Kitty grinned at him. "I might tell you someday," she teased. "For now though, I come bearing an important message."

'Go ahead,' the Knight signed.

"Emmet managed to get Jarl Balgruuf to agree to help us, but on one condition- we have to put an end to the fighting, first."

"He really thinks the war can be stopped just like that?" Sirius scoffed.

'Might be easier to do than you think,' the Knight told him.

"I have to agree with Sirius, sir. But even if all we can manage is a temporary truce, at least that'll be long enough for Emmet to catch his dragon. He was on his way to High Hrothgar to see if he could convince the Greybeards to host the peace council."

The Knight nodded. 'Change of plans, then. We need to head to High Hrothgar.'

"But my father-!"

'He doesn't have the location of Auriel's Bow, or the Scrolls. We have the advantage, and the time. And stopping Alduin is just as important as stopping your father- if not moreso.'

"Perhaps Balthazar and I could carry on alone?" Sirius suggested.

'I would prefer you to be at the peace council.'

Sirius stared at him in speechless astonishment. "...Really?" he managed after a moment.

'I think you'll find it most enlightening. Balthazar, you're welcome to join us.'

"You know what? I think I will, this sounds like it's going to be fascinating."