A New Beginning

I awake from my boisterous budgies, chirping carelessly. The morning sun gleams through my glass window as I clumsily leave my bed, my silky dark brown hair looking like a lion's mane. It's my first day at a new school, since my family moved to the other side of the district. Who knows what awaits this "new environment". Bullies? Girly girls? I'd have to wait. After a few minutes, I'm dressed in my fresh school uniform, a dark blue and green plaid skirt with a simple white blouse. The skirt perfectly cinched my waist, giving it a good look. Before I know it, I hop in the car, both excited and nervous, as we leave our luxurious home.

 I gaze off into a daydream as we pass unknown ruins leading to my new school. At that very moment, I realise I haven't escaped the Games. Ever since my parents and I moved, I forgot about the one and only Hunger Games, where one courageous girl and boy between the ages of twelve and eighteen are sent to the custody of the Capitol, trained in the art of survival and are forced to fight to the death. Since I live in a career district, I am required to train since I was young to volunteer for the Games. Let's just say I am willing to volunteer, but not quite yet since I'm only fourteen. The first training session of the year starts tomorrow, and I'm an advanced expert at throwing knives. I never miss.

I hop out of our bright shining car, legs trembling, heart beating, smile slowly forming. Two older children, a boy and a girl, await at the broad gates of Westlakes Academy, a friendly gaze spotting me. "Welcome to Westlakes Academy. Please go to the office to receive your details," both children say very enthusiastically. The boy has blonde golden hair that compliments his pure blue eyes. On the other hand, the girl has fiery red hair smoothing down her back and pretty hazel eyes. The boy waves at me confidently and I smile shyly, blushing. Suddenly, the deafening ring of a bell cascades into my ears as children of all sizes run and scream like maniacs.