A Good Friendship

We are escorted carefully out of the heavy chariots and our costumes are taken off. I see the district twelve tributes and their stylists praising them, huge smiles on all of their faces. The girl looks at us both, and I roll my eyes and stare at her viciously. Cato makes a small death stare that makes her intimidated. She shakes her head like a coward and looks away. The blonde district one girl starts to flirt with Cato, and he smiles back. I slap his hand lightly and complain, "What are you doing?" "Just playing the game Clove! You'll see," he says, as I'm still confused of his lost strategy. The eye catching costume was probably district eight's, bright pink and blue jester looking costumes, they look absolutely ridiculous. All the careers laugh at them including me, making them feel insecure and scared. Finally, Enobaria, Brutus, Amber, Kevin and Maple all come over to us and congratulate us. "That was splendid work!" Maple praises, pinching my cheeks. "Great work," Both Kevin and Amber chorus in a nice tone. "Thank you for the lowly costumes," I say to Amber and Kevin. "Yeah, they were good," Cato says glumly. "You did what I said," Enobaria whispers confidently. Keeping our bloodthirsty faces on and scaring the other tributes, Cato and I are taken back to our little district two rooms.

Cato and I sit down in the unique glass chairs, and start to discuss everything that happened today. "So, how do you think we went?" he questions longing for my answer. I stay silent for a moment, gazing into his eyes. "I think we did well. I mean c'mon. District Two. Careers. Strong. Vicious. We are all they talk about Cato," I say. "We got this," he says back confidently. "Tomorrow's training, how are you feeling?" I ask. "Nobody better mess with me, or else..." He grabs his hand and pretends to slice it along his neck and make a cracking sound. I chuckle softly. "Well, I think I'm gonna do very well with my knives!" I giggle. "Of course you will! You're pro at those Clove!" Cato flatters me. Both of us haven't realized its nearly midnight, and say our good nights. "Goodnight, Cato," I say sweetly. "Goodnight my clover." Again! He called me his clover again! I'm so confused! I head over to my bedroom and toss and turn in my bed continuously. I can't sleep.

Thoughts swirl in my head uncontrollably. What if I never see my mother again? What if I die in the bloodbath? The main problem of all this, is Cato. I don't know how I'm even going to hurt him! He was one of my closest friends, even before all of this happened! The games. The games that might change our relationship. Maybe even split us apart, not saying a word to each other. And at that moment, I forgot that every tribute should have a special token taken with them to the arena for luck or determination. I roll over lazily on the other side of my bed, and on my posh bedside table, lays a beautiful hairpiece. A hair pin decorated with gold jewels and a bright red ruby in the middle. Tears begin to swell of both sadness and joy as I realize my father has given this to me, when I was new born. This was one of the only things he cherished with me and I'll never forget it. I know with this special item I could win this. For him. I place my valuable item back on the table and before I know if, I've drifted off into a deep sleep.