Doubts and Goodbyes

I open my eyes rapidly to a new day, people still cheering and whistling for their favorite tributes. Unfortunately, the levels on which the tributes say on are in district order, which makes us one of the closest. I block my ears, irritated by the sounds but once again prepared for the one and only, 74th annual hunger games. I fall out of bed and quietly change into a blue calm shirt and jeans. Opening the door, I realize I'm not the first one awake. Enobaria crouches next to the window pane, and notices me instantly. She calls me over for an important talk of probably essential advice. "Good morning, Clove." "Morning," I say enthusiastically. "Are you ready?" I nod my head confidently without hesitation. "Remember. Feared, prepared, vicious, convincing. You need to be all these when in the arena. I still remember when I was triumphant, my awesome teeth were my strength. You must run for your knives." I listen closely to my mentor's words. Just at that moment, someone else walks in the door.

Cato and Brutus comes ambling inside the room, with their usual serious faces on. "Try and be the final two. If you are, it's all downhill from there. You guys have to figure that out." Brutus immediately says. Cato catches my glance and we both look perplexed and a little scared at the idea that some point soon, we may have to kill each other. I shiver the sight of my bloody and scarred body, Cato standing in front of me clenching on his sharpened sword, waiting to rip my flesh out. "And stay with the careers. District one." We both nod in sync. Maple excitedly walks in, her wobbling normally on her high stilettos, dyed hair and exaggerated clothes and makeup. "How exciting! Today's the big day!" she shouts dramatically clapping her hands with her carefully manicured nails. We all move to the couch as we discuss more about the tactics of today's games. But as usual district two's tributes are always prepared, right?

After a few hours, Cato and I are reluctantly separated into our private rooms, preparing for the gory games that the poorer districts dread. I wave a final goodbye to Brutus, as he walks the opposite way to Cato. Enobaria escorts me to a lift, and we face each other. "Clove, I believe in you. You can do this. Make district two proud. Please," she pleads with her strange teeth shining like a sun. "Yes, I will make you guys proud. Hopefully I will return home," I state truthfully. The entrance leads outside to an open landscape, a weird looking aircraft in front of me. Enobaria places her cold hands on my shoulders. "Show them everything. You're one of the best. Remember, make me proud Clove." I nod, only a few tears swelling in my eyes but I hold them back. I smirk confidently at Enobaria and give her the thumbs up, indicating I'm ready. My whole body shivers as my heart and adrenaline beats swiftly as I glance my final look at my skilled and helpful mentor.