Training Begins

I wake up earlier than usual, and get dressed. I must wear my training uniform today, which is compulsory for all tributes. Cato and I will wear a black and red shirt, and near the shoulders there will be the number '2' on it in white font. The pants are midnight black. I scoot out the door with obvious dark circles surrounding my gleaming eyes and sit down against the wall. Everyone else is still asleep, Cato, Maple, Amber and Kevin, Enobaria and Brutus. The first rays of the shining morning light have just peered over the glass window. Surprisingly, Cato bursts put the door, and also seems stunned to see me. "Morning," I say with a slight smile. "Hey," he says back. "Are you ready for today?" "Yeah, my knives are going to be very handy. I'm actually pretty prepared and excited." "Well, you better act prepared to scare the other tributes." I nod back. Maple wobbles out the door, her hair in a bundle. "Well, you two are awake already?" she says with a loud gasp. "That's surprising." After a few minutes, the other four residents of district two's area are awoken. We all sit down for breakfast, scrambles eggs and toast with cranberry sauce. "So what's your strengths?" Brutus inquisitively says. "Cato's strength abilities and sword stabbing is great." "I know you're better than me at knives though. She always stabs splat in the middle." "I think both of you will be fine. You've been trained since forever and district two is normally the most skilled. You have a huge advantage." Enobaria says while munching on her food. "Let's head over to the center now," Kevin mumbles.

Cato and I enter the Center, not surprisingly the first duo there. We observe the lookalike jungle gym, different types of weaponry, parkour and survival skills. It looked just as I imagined. We stand in our little area that marks the number two, and patiently wait for more tributes to arrive, that I will soon have to kill. District four and one's tributes enter the vast center, we keep our vicious faces on, and that blonde girl from one starts smiling at Cato again. Cato ignores her this time, just as district eleven, six, seven and three come in. Everyone has similar outfits to us, just a different number on the side. After a few long minutes, all districts have gathered in a semi circle form. Cato stares dangerously at the district twelve girl and she looks away, confused. I tilt my head to him and smile triumphantly. A woman comes over to us to explain the rules. "You can't fight in the arena of else it will result to major consequences." Blah blah blah, I think carelessly. "Let's get started." I keep my prepared face on as I walk over go the throwing knives section. I stab three sharpened knives with a grunt and they all hit the middle, as usual. I turn over my shoulder to see most of the tributes glaring at me, and I lift my head up. But at that second, Cato already starts a fight. "You took my knife!" he screams at a frightened boy's face. "You took my knife! It was right there!" "I didn't take it! I swear!" the boy pleads. "You're the first one I get in the arena. Watch out," Cato shouts as people pull him away.

After a few minutes, all the main careers, district one and two, meet up in the corner of the training center. I rush over to Cato, as the district one tributes do the same. "Well, we're supposed to kill everybody?" the district one boy says cluelessly. "Introduce ourselves," I say. "I'm clove." "Cato." I stare at the district one girl. "My name's Glimmer." "I'm Marvel." "What's your skills?" Cato asks Marvel and Glimmer. "I'm handy with a spear. Very handy." Marvel confidently says. "I'm so good with a bow," Glimmer boastfully says but actually, when I saw her training she wasn't close to the target. I roll my eyes obviously. We all walk with our perilous and vicious faces over to the parkour area. Near that area, the district twelve boy, I hear his name is Peeta, urges himself to climb a tough rope activity, falling to his knees, nearly injuring his arm. I stare at him in disgust and hatred, and chuckle. Cato and Marvel do the same, as Glimmer joins us. At that moment, that weird girl from twelve whispers to Peeta something important that makes him stand up and walk over to throw the big steel balls. "Like he could ever do that," I tease. "Let's watch him fail," Cato says. Peeta picks up the item, already struggling in the redness of his untreated face. He swings the ball in the air and overthrows it with a loud grunt, making it hit a row of arrows making a deafening crash to the floor. We all back off, stunned by this sight. "Alright," Cato surprisingly deals with. "We'll see how he goes in the actual arena," Glimmer mutters.