25- Deals with the Devil

Cairo was the next stop, and turned out to be the most dangerous one yet. Upon arrival, Joseph asked around with his spirit photo to see if anyone knew where the place was. Having a large cafe in his sights, he led the group to it.

"Sir, sorry to interrupt but, do you know where this place is?" Joseph asked a man, later known as D'Arby. "Oh- I do know where that place is.. but you see I am a man of a gamble, if you want the information- You'll have to win it."

You found this quite suspicious, "And what's on the line?" You pushed past the group and stood across the table from him, face to face. "We can decide that later." D'Arby throws two pieces of fish out, "Which one will the cat eat first, take your pick."

Polnareff stepped up in confidence, "The bigger one of course." D'Arby laughed, "Your confidence will get you nothing sir, bet your soul on this." Again, Polnareff and his confidence, "Fine, heh, I bet my soul."

The cat jumping down caught your immediate attention, your heart pounded with anticipation. You watched carefully for any signs of cheating, but alas, nothing. The cat pranced up to the smaller piece of fish, and ate it. "Now, your soul is mine.."

Polnareff let out a hearty, nervous laugh, ending quickly when D'Arby's stand revealed himself, taking a hold on Polnareff and stealing his soul right from his body, then turning it into a poker chip. You were completely shocked, "Is he.. dead?" You asked Jotaro, and he slowly nodded.

Joseph's anger got the best of him, he raced across the table to attack D'Arby, "No no, I will crush this soul chip if you lay one finger on me.." Joseph backed down and sat in the chair in front of him, "Must be one of DIOs henchmen, what do we have to do to get Polnareff back?"

D'Arby ponders it for a little too long, aging the time that Polnareff died. "Okay look, guy, how do we know that you didn't cheat the last game?" The gambler was shocked you accused him of cheating, "I could never cheat, Y/n." He pulled out his suitcase and opened it, revealing hundreds of poker chips with people's faces on them. Joseph interrupts your conversation and puts down a glass almost full of whiskey, "Coins, don't let it spill."

D'Arby accepts the challenge and plops a coin in the glass, Joseph smirks he predicts that seven coins will fill the glass. Quickly, they were down to the seventh coin, D'Arby places it in. Joseph's soul was immediately taken, "Hey! Joseph didn't lose!" You started to walk across the table again but pulled down by Avdol, "He subconsciously admitted his defeat."

Jotaro picks up the glass, seeing there is a piece of chocolate under the cup, melted, reasonably why D'Arby won. It tampered with the way the glass looked, on how full it was, misleading Joseph. "Poker."

Your limited worded boyfriend said, then taking the chair in front of D'Arby, "Poker? That is a mistake dear child, that is my favourite game.." Avdol tried to reason with Jotaro, no avail. "Look come on Jotaro, this is stupid, let's beat the shit out of this guy and make him give us them back."

Jotaro ignored you, then summoning Star Platinum, to subsequently telling D'Arby that he can't cheat. D'Arby wins the right to shuffle and deal, he memorized the deck by just an uncanny sense of touch. As he began to deal out the cards, Jotaro spots that D'Arby is doing a 'second dealing' and breaks his finger using Star Platinum.

You flinched and held on to Jotaros shoulder, wanting him to be careful. "You've intrigued me Jotaro, I will no longer be playing for DIO, I am playing for my pride." He split Polnareff and Joseph's soul chips into six poker chips each and tosses Jotaro six blank ones to represent his soul. Avdol takes a seemingly innocent kid and gets him to shuffle and deal the cards.

In the first turn, Jotaro loses three chips in his first hand against D'Arby, giving the foe full confidence that he will win. As the next set it dealt, Jotaro doesn't look at his cards, making D'Arby worry. Jotaro bets the rest of his soul, and Avdol with his confidence bets his full soul too.

D'Arby's breathing hitches at this, but he doesn't let his facial expressions show he is nervous. Even with him knowing that the entire cafe is on his side, even the little boy, ensuring that the boy dealt Jotaro a worthless hand, his worry still rises. Guessing that Jotaro is attempting a worthless bluff he raises Jotaro to all six of Joseph's soul chips. To undermine Jotaro psychologically, he smoothly suggests that he raise the bet with their injured friend Kakyoin too.

As Jotaro calmly accepts, Avdol argued with him, saying how stupid this was, betting a soul who doesn't know what's going on. Just then, D'Arby catches a glimpse of Star Platinum lighting Jotaros cigarette, then realization hit him like a truck. Star Platinum was fast, hella fast, and be could have easily switched cards to give him a better hand. D'Arby tries to reassure himself, but while doing so he looked up at Jotaro, now sipping on a cocktail that was not there before.

The gambler tries to angrily end the turn but Jotaro raises the bet to his ill mothers and his girlfriends soul too, he pulled you onto his knee, keeping his complete cool. "Tell me the secret of DIOs stand." Jotaro demanded, you sat trying to keep your cool too, but you knew Jotaro doesn't know what cards he has, it scared you.

At wits end, he subconsciously folds and releases Joseph and Polnareff from the chips, immediately you flipped up Jotaros cards, almost letting out a scream. You felt your face grow cold and pale, "Your hand was low? And you still bet everyone on the line?" Your hands shakily laid down the cards revealing extremely worthless cards.

You looked up to D'Arby, turned into a complete loon after this game, "Tell us about DIO." Jotaro said, getting no response. You all concluded collectively that you couldn't get anything from D'Arby about DIO.

"All this was for nothing?" You asked Jotaro, getting a small nod in response. You sighed and shook your head, what a man.

——————

The group eventually leaves and begins to wander again, Polnareff, of course, leading his own expedition by himself. "Polnareff, you almost got killed last time you went off alone." You stood in front of him like an obedience ridden mother.

"I'll be fine, Y/n, trust me this time. I'll look at my surroundings more." He said, grabbing your hands to plead. "Fine fine." You said shaking off his hands, though being inadvertently younger than him, he still listens to you.

Polnareff ran off, but not long after the rest of you heard commotion, including Polnareffs voice.