06| On The Fence

Benny Rodriguez

It's been a couple of days since the sleepover at Kenny's and every since then I've been in such a good mood. I believe it was because of the conversation we heard between Jessie and Alahna. I feel it's pretty apparent that I've been in an even better mood then I usually am in but the only person who knew why I was so pumped up was Kenny.

Today I was taking Ham's spot as catcher cus he wanted to be at bat today. thus never goes well but it's always funny, so we always let him have a go.

"hamilton 'the babe' porterhe said this while walking to the base as if he. was in the bug leagues.  "long ball" porter, come on Denunez" Kenny was pitching today which meant Jessie was in outfield. Lately everything I think about keeps coming back to Jessie. Not that its a bad thing but with Ham batting i gotta pay attention.

"okay, yeah. yes I see it" He said that while pointing out to the sky like Babe ruth. We all couldn't help but laugh and tease him. I mean what else are friends for. Kenny gave him a good one.
"whoa," we all laughed because he just got strike right after acting like the bug shot he wishes he was. " You call that pitching" Man this guy is too funny sometimes.

"This is baseball, not tennis"
"Give him a tennis racket"
We all teased him for that one.

" Give me something to hit" He just did ham, you just didn't hit it.

"Alright Ham, This is my heater I dare you to hit it" Both Kenny and Jessie had real good heaters I dont know if Ham will be able to hit this one.

"You'll be sorry" We all tease each other a lot but Ham really is a good player, just a little off sometimes.

"Give that boy a bigger bat" All i could was sit back a wait for the show to happen.

"You want the heater? I'll give it to you" Kenny winded up and I knew from his face this was gonna be a fast one. Just like Jessie, the both of them hated when people underestimated their pitching abilities. We all knew Ham was joking but Kenny still wanted to prove how good his heater was.

"Give him a basketball, maybe then he'll hit it" I'm not sure he'd hit it if we threw him one of those giant workout balls but let's see what's gonna happen.

Kenny gives him the heater, Ham swings and BOOM its outta here.

"Yeah! thats how you do it" why is he celebrating now we cant play no more.

"Ham you idiot now we can't play mo more!" Its barely lunch time what else are we supposed to do now man.

After I said that everyone started calling Ham an idiot. Everyone was throwing their gloves at him while he ran the bases. We weren't paying much attention until Jessie screamed out for us.

Jessie Denunez

No one else was paying attention to Smalls, I mean I wasn't paying too much attention either. I was so busy throwing my glove at Ham's head for ending the day so quickly. I heard Smalls yell out, I think he was trying tell everyone but no one heard him but me.

"wait a sec. I'll get it" I turned around when he started to walk towards the fence. Oh God. He doesn't know about the beast does he?

"Smalls wait- Don't" I tried to call out for him but he didn't listen or maybe he just didn't hear me. "GUYS!" Once they all turned to me they realized what I was trying to get them to notice. Smalls was near THE FENCE. The fence of the beast. All the guys started to shout with me for Smalls to stop but just didn't. As we all ran towards him, he had already started to scale the fence thank goodness Benny was able to stop him before it was too late. He pulled Smalls off the fence much to his dismay.

"Get off guys- Im gonna get the ball," was this bot stupid or something he's gonna get himself killed cant he hear the beast roaring from behind the fence. I don't get why he was fighting off Benny so much, he was just trying to save him from DEATH. "Get off guys." Man no matter how much we try and help this dude.

"You're gonna get yourself killed man"
this kid was truly hopeless, just as you think he's starting to get better.
"Holy Crap, you could've been killed" Squints said catching up considering how slow he runs.

"Yeah- yeah truly!! whaddya' doin'," Why are both yeah yeah and squint so out of breath it's not even that bad of a run. I don't get how some of these guys survive as baseball players.

" Well, you were all leavin', so I thought - I'd just" Before smalls could even finish Squints cuts him off.

"if you were thinkin' you wouldn't a
thought that!" Now that I think of it none of us ever really told him about the beast but I'm sure he knew there was something behind that fence. I've seen the way he jumps when the beast roars.

"You can't go back there, Smalls." Benny finally cuts in after lifting Smalls off the fence. Which might I say he did with ease.

"Then how do we get it back?" Smalls asks with a slight attitude considering we're all just attacking him and bombarding him.

"We don't" Timmy starts

"We don't" Tommy repeats.

"I wish we did, but its gone," I finally speak. The guys add on a bit after but I've honestly been pretty zoned out this whole time. Benny is standing next to me and kind of just stressing which is pretty damn cute. He was kind of just staring at smalls probably wondering what he was thinking, just like we all were. I only snap out of my thoughts when Benny starts to talk.

"Game's over. We'll get a new one tomorrow. Just forget it. We'll never
see it again." I could tell Benny was sad, this was two of the things he hated most, losing a ball and ending a game early. He could play baseball forever until the day where he can't breathe properly and even the. he would still try to play. That's something I liked about Benny his devotion to his sport and his passion.

The boys kept talking until they finally convinced Smalls that there was truly a beast behind that wall. They made the poor boy look into the fence and he came back screaming "There's something back there" like tell us something we don't know man. When I finally started to listen to them again they all looked around and came to an agreement.

"Campout." they all said it at the same time with the same understanding and I just stood there knowing it would take a lot of convincing for my parents to let me go with Kenny to the campout. Because usually the campouts turn into one big sleepover in the tree house at Timmy and Tommy's house. So we all always being sleeping f bags and snacks.

No matter how long
my parents have known the guys they always felt weird that I was the only
girl there but thank God for Kenny otherwise they would never let me go. I know that they trust me just as much as Kenny probably even more but I also get it they're just nervous for their little girl.

~~~~~~~~~
Tell me why I acc take so long to write ts. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years🫶🏽🫶🏽