14| Did you kiss?

Jessie Denunez

I walked into my house after my date, my parents were asleep on the couch and I was sure Kenny was busy in his room. I walked all the way up to my room with a smile stuck on my face, I had just had my very first kiss with Benny. My very first kiss ever. I didn't know how to react, i didn't know if I should squeal, or jump around, or even write it down in a journal. I knew I had to tell Alahna and Kenny but that could wait for tomorrow because I didn't know if I was calm enough to say anything without screaming. This was something I had dreamed about for years and it finally happened.

I was surprised I could even sleep last night but I did. I slept soundly, with a smile on my face, no doubt. I woke up with that same smile I fell asleep with and it felt like there were still hearts floating around my head. I practically skipped down the stairs and I'm sure that my family noticed my dreamy mood. I didn't even have to tell them anything, they could already guess I had the greatest night.

Today I was wearing an old baseball shirt, with denim shorts, my Anaheim angels hat, and the same blush that was stuck on my face since yesterday. My hair was braided into two braids with red hair ties to match the red on my sleeve and the heart I wore on it. As I walked with Kenny I spoke dreamily about the date yesterday and he was  glad to hear it, well besides the "icky" stuff as he would say. He just found it funny how stuck in a daze I was. I pranced all the way to the Sandlot with an extra pep in my step as Kenny tried to keep up.

I called Alahna early this morning ready to tell her everything but she stopped me, wanting to hear it all in person. So tonight she was coming over again and she was going to sleep over at my house till Monday. The guys and I don't meet up on Sundays and rarely on Saturdays so usually I would be with Alahna or the rest of my family. But today we were at the Sandlot.

I'm sure the guys could notice the evident smiles on mine and Benny's face and I was sure Smalls and Ham spread the news about our date. Before I sat down in the dugout, Benny came over and gave me a hug and as we pulled away we could hear all the guys teasing oooo's and aww's. Yeah yeah and squints started making obnoxious kisses faces and I just smacked and pinched the both of them.

"How was the date?" Ham asked while stretching out his question.

"DID YOU KISS?" Timmy screamed.

"DID YOU KISS?" Tommy repeated. Kenny was about to answer before I put a hand over his mouth.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." And with that I walked up to the diamond getting ready to pitch, since it was my day. I could still hear them talking, so I turned to watch them. They turned to Benny, who shrugged and walked up to bat, looking at me and winking. I just giggled and smiled back.

Then I heard a little blabber mouth called Kenny start talking. "They kissed, they definitely did." Stupid Kenny, such a blabber mouth.

"KENNY!!" Benny and I screamed. Then we heard a chorus of "I knew it" and "finally", looks like there was no way of keeping them out of our business.

"Could we just play, please?" I asked getting bored of just standing there waiting to get over the news they had just heard.

We played all day until it was about 3 o'clock. Benny and I walked home hand in hand, ignoring all the guys and their teasing. We were just talking about random things.

"Jess, are you busy next week?" Benny asked.

"I don't know, I'll have to check my schedule," I knew what he was asking but I couldn't let him do it without even a little struggle. "You know, I'll be busy with swimming and baseball and I'll probably have chores and stuff." He looked almost scared of what I would say next. I could tell he was sweating so I smiled and giggled. "I'm kidding Benny, what are you planning." I saw him take a breath of relief than he pushed me a bit.