15| what are we?

Jessie Denunez

It's been about three days since Alahna slept over and my goodness Kenny will not stop blowing my ear up abt her. He's all "When's Alahna coming over again?" "Are you guys hanging out today?" "Did she talk about me?" "Are you gonna put in a good word?"

The entire time she was sleeping over, Kenny found "subtle" ways to talk to her and barge in on our girl time. He would walk in and flex his "muscles" in my mirror or he would walk in and say mom and dad were calling for me when they weren't just so he could say hi to Alahna.

It was honestly cute and I finally did them a favour by going off to call Benny and insisted that Keeny should keep Alahna company. I didn't really have to call Benny but I wanted too, I hadn't seen him since the last time we played baseball because I've spent the whole weekend with Alahna and Kenny even if I didn't want him there.

When Kenny finally left us alone, Alahna SOMEHOW convinced me to finally ask what I am to him. I have to know, I don't know how much longer I can go on just "dating". I know Benny and I want to be with him and I wanna be his before he even has chance to think about what better girls there are. I want to be with him so much and all I can do is hope that he feels the same way.

But what if he doesn't. What if he doesn't want me as much as I want him? What if someone like Lucy Love comes along and shows him everything he needs or what he would be missing out on if he were to be with me. and what if he just doesn't want to be "exclusive".

I can't help but think about that as we walk to the sandlot. Kenny and I are running a little late because we were in charge of getting the baseball this time. I'm honestly glad it's not my pitching day today. I have far too much on my mind to be pitching. I would be way off my game. All I can think about is how I'm supposed to ask. What if I make him feel like I'm forcing him into a relationship and he ends things right there and then? Or if he wants things to be "casual" like they are right now and I get all awkward. I don't want a stupid question like this ruining whatever we have.

When we enter the Sandlot Benny and the others are there waiting, so that means that I would have to wait until the end of the day to ask Benny. We walk over to the guys and Kenny tosses the ball to Benny like usual and I try to mentally prepare myself when he starts walking towards me. I don't know why I'm scared, today's not any different than any other I just can't help but think about how I'm going to talk to him later. When he reaches me he swiftly kisses my cheek something he's started doing about a week ago and I blush like I always do.

"Hey," He says looking at me, I hope he doesn't notice how the blood pools in my cheeks.

"Hey," I smile up at him. Why am I being so awkward? It's just same old Benny, I'm gonna make him think there's a problem when there isn't, I'm just a nervous wreck.

"You wanna hang out later? I was thinking ice cream and maybe we could chill by the lake?" He asks me and waits patiently for my answer.

"Of course. I'll just get Kenny to tell my parents and we can just go straight from here." Of course I wanna hang out with him but that's if he wants to hang out with me after I ask him. What if he thinks it's stupid that I didn't know we were already dating and he gets mad? Are we dating? I DONT KNOW

"Come on guys let's play!" Ham whines, while fanning himself off.

"Yeah yeah, quit flirting we don't got all day!!" yeah yeah shouts from his position.

I get myself set up in the right outfield where I find myself near Smalls. He's a real funny kid when you get to know him. He says that weirdest stuff and sometimes acts a little dumb for such a smart kid. He honestly confuses me but I think he also confuses everyone else but hey we all have our differences.