12| squirm and panic

Jessie Denunez (Roberta's outfit is Jessie's date outfit, Roberta is Christina Ricci)

Alahna was right, Friday came so much quicker than I would've thought. Alahna and I had been picking out outfits all week. She came to my house after baseball everyday and we went through almost 1 thousand outfits. I didn't even know I had that many clothes until I practically tried every single one on. In the end we decided on simple dark wash blue denim jeans, a brown half zip short sleeve shirt, a big belt, and a chunky headband. Alahna was coming over again today after baseball to help me out with makeup and my hair. This was my first date after all, everything had to be perfect.

Currently I'm just getting ready to go to the Sandlot. I was wearing basic light blue jean shorts and a pink tank top. When I heard Kenny call my name I just grabbed two hair ties and settled on doing my hair on the way to Vincent's otherwise Kenny would leave without me for taking "too long".

On our walk to the sandlot I just put my hair into two pigtails with my bangs pinned away and put my favorite Anaheim Angels hat on. I was wearing my dirty black and white converse as I always was, they're my favorite shoes EVER.

When we made it to the Vincent's not everyone was there yet. Today we were meeting up at Vincent's drugstore to get a new ball because we lost the one we got on Monday so we needed a new one and Squints and Yeah yeah were not trusted to get a new ball. They always took too long. The only people that were already there was Bertram, Timmy, Tommy, Smalls and Benny. Smalls and Benny always make it together because they live across the street from each other and same with Bertram, Timmy and Tommy. Ham, Squints, and Yeah yeah were always late no matter what.

Today was the day that Kenny and I pitched in to buy the new ball, so after we said Hi to everyone I went into the store and what I didn't realize was that Benny followed me in.

"So, uh, are you ready for tonight?" he was leaning on one of the shelves as I picked out the new ball for today.

"Are you? You seem to be sweating a bit there, breathing a little heavy." I was looking at him now, I thought the face face he made when I teased him was the funniest thing in the world.

"I, um what? Of course I am, it's just hot outside you know?" I tried my hardest to hold back my laughter as he squirmed and stammered.

"Benny, I'm just pulling on your chain," He took like the biggest breath in. "I just like seeing you squirm and panic." Now I was laughing, I even saw him try and hide a a few giggles.

"What? I do not squirm." He said that while trying to look confident but I could see right through his little tough guy act.

"Okay, yeah totally." Now we were both laughing we both knew that I didn't believe him and that just made it even funnier.

We both started walking towards the cash register and I was still holding the ball since I had the money. I put the ball on the counter and greeted who I expected to be checking us out which was usually Mr. Earl, Vincent Earl the owner of the store. I was even maybe expecting Mrs. Earl but this time it had been Xavier Earl, the grandson or Mr. Earl. I knew him through English class but we never really spoke before, he's just one of those people you wave at when you walk past. Xavier was a dark blonde almost brunette guy with a protruding, almost square chin and jawline. His hair was short and messy, he had piercing blue eyes, and an almost permanent semi-smirk plastered on his face.

"That'll be-" He stopped looking at the cash and started to stare at me. "Hey, you're Jessie right? Kenny's sister? I think we have English class together." I could hear Benny sigh from behind me.

"Yeah we do, Xavier right?" I didn't really want to talk to him but I figured there's nothing wrong with just being kind, who knows maybe he just wants like a friend or two to hang out with.