TWENTY-ONE.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:
That would have been the mind-altering drugs
─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

                Kennedy had no choice but to swallow her pride and text her brother to come pick her up

Kennedy had no choice but to swallow her pride and text her brother to come pick her up. She had made sure she walked far enough away from the Chateau though before she sent him her location. Thirty minutes later, he had pulled up on the kerb she was sitting at and told her to get in. With a sigh, Kennedy got in the car, immediately pulling down the mirror to fix the smudged mascara under her eyes.

Topper eyed her suspiciously, "Is that Rafe's shirt?" He asked her, making her freeze up.

She swallowed, "Uh, yeah. I think he must have left it behind and mom washed it for him, but it was in my hamper yesterday so I just threw it on." She lied on the spot, but she wouldn't meet his gaze—mostly because her eyes were bloodshot from crying on the side of the road.

"Right," Topper drawled out as he started up the car, "Where were you anyway? I know you weren't at Sarah's." Kennedy wished that for once, her brother would stop prying in on her business. He was driving her crazy, always wanting to know who she was with and where she was.

"Met up with the cheerleading girls and we got a little bit too blazed and passed out on a field," Kennedy lied once again, glancing out the window, watching the Cut pass by her, "I thought I texted you. Too stoned and all that shit." She said with a shrug.

                     "Well, mom thinks you stayed at Sarah's—she's been stressing all morning, thinking you weren't gonna be home in time to go to the club," He informed her, "You could at least try to keep her up to date on what you're up to, you know. Saves us all the stress." He complained, turning the steering wheel as they took a sharp corner.

                     "I'll keep that in mind." She mumbled, combing her hands through her tangled hair.

                    Topper glanced at her, "What, no smart-ass remark?"

                   "I'm not really in the mood to argue, Top." She told him in a flat tone, continuing to stare out the window.

                   "First for everything, I guess." Topper said with a scoff, making her look at her brother for the first time since getting in his car.

                    "Can you not be an asshole, right now? Like for real. I really don't want to hear it." She grumbled, making him turn to face her, opening his mouth to argue when he suddenly snapped it shut.