Chapter - 9

"The criteria for first love"

In 2022, Jungkook reads an article about IU retiring from dance after getting injured and sighs that she should've been careful. Jimin walks in and he immediately shuts his laptop, which leads Jimin to think that he was watching porn.

He opens his laptop again to prove it's not porn; he was just curious about how IU was doing since she was his first love. He explains that a first love can feel like homework that was never finished, making Jimin scowl.

He smiles and says that he wouldn't know the feeling since he married his first love. Jimin scoffs at that and says that he doesn't have a first love. They start to argue over what "first love" .

******************************************

Back in current 1999, Jimin is shocked to find Jungkook and his mom outside the house. He forces his mom inside and then turns to Jungkook, looking furious. Jungkook weakly lies that he was just passing by, but Jimin tells him to stay away before going inside. After taking one last look at the crate of grapes he left for Mom, Jungkook turns away.

Inside, Jimin warns Mom to stay away from Jungkook. Mom doesn't see why she should; the nice young man did help her out. Still, Jimin tells her to kick him if he ever tries to help again. He stalks off to his room, leaving Mom confused.

On campus, Jhope keeps Taehyung back after cheerleading practice to give him some private lessons. He asks when he'll be able to wear the uniform and lift him like his partner did earlier. Jhope gets a twinkle in his eye and tells him to stay where he is.

Taehyung looks like a deer in highlights as Jhope comes running toward him, instructing him to catch him. He manages to catch him and lift him in the air, but he loses his balance and sends them falling to the ground. With their lips mere inches apart, Jhope takes the chance to give him a quick kiss. Taehyung freaks out and shoves him aside so he can scurry away, and Jhope laughs at his shy reaction.

**************************************

Jimin and his family watch a reality show about a man reconnecting with his first love. They talk about their own firsts, Mom saying she never had one. Jimin calls that unfair, glaring at his Dad, but Mom merely says that first love is useless—it's a person's last love that counts. Jimin is still glaring at Dad as they get up to have dinner.

He flashes back to 2010, one year after his Mom's death. He and Jungkook were sharing a meal with Dad when he'd announced that he was getting remarried. Jimin thought he was joking at first, but Dad figured it was time they let go of Mom.

Jimin was horrified to hear this, saying that Mom's loss was so new that he still felt as if his Mom could come home any minute. He angrily asks Dad how he can let go so soon when he still feels this way. Dad was unable to respond, so Jimin had stormed out, Jungkook right behind him.

So now, there's a lot of tension at dinner as Jimin snatches all of Dad's food and lovingly gives it to his Mom. His parents later wonder about his behavior, Dad thinking he messed up because he read Jimin's diary not too long ago.

**************************************

Jungkook has drinks in a pojangmacha, his eyes filling with tears as he's overwhelmed with memories of little Jungmin. Meanwhile, Jimin is huddled in bed as he also cries over the absence of his son. He's still crying when he wakes up the next morning, still in the past.

Mom comes in to wake him up and is surprised to see him crying. Mom asks if he's been having bad dreams, like seeing Mom die. At that, Jimin hugs Mom tightly, and while Mom is still confused with his behavior, she hugs him back.