Chapter-16(final)

"My beloved comrade"

Jungkook receives a call from a tearful Jimin and races to find him. Jimin darts into the street to save a child from an oncoming car, while Namjoon watches across the way in shock. Jungkook shoots past him and shoves Jimin and the child out of the way, and is hit instead.

Jungkook's body topples to the ground, and the rings fly from his pocket and clatter on the asphalt. Jimin screams over Jungkook's body, calling him "yeobo."

Jungkook is rushed to the operating room, and Jimin and Namjoon run alongside Jungkook's gurney until the doors close on them. Jimin collapses to the floor in his anguish, while Namjoon can do nothing but watch.

At Jimin's house, His  Mom notes that the revived plant is now looking peaked. Dad warns that it needs consistent watering rather than a lot all at once.

As Namjoon leaves, he thinks of Jimin's behavior earlier. The doctors needed a family member to approve his surgery, and Jimin argued that he was family, rattling off Jungkook's blood type, medical conditions, and allergies. Jungkook's parents arrived just then, and Jimin let slip a "Mother," although Jungkook's parents didn't know who he was.

Namjoon's thoughts turn to the group trip when Jimin commented on Jungkook's lackluster shaving attempt with such familiarity. Looks like someone's starting to piece things together.

Jimin returns to the hospital day after day, but every time the nurse tells him that only family can see Jungkook. Finally, Jimin spots Jungkook's mother and they get a chance to talk.

 Jungkook's Mom suspects that Jimin is Jungkook's boyfriend, and Jimin plays along.  Jungkook's Mom is kind and reassuring, and tells Jimin that she'll call he when he can visit Jungkook.

Jimin recalls a moment in the future, after he had spoken to his mother-in-law on the phone. Jimin told Jungkook that he loves it when his mom called him "our Jimin" rather than "son-in-law," to make Jimin feel more included.

***************************************

Back in  current 1999, Jimin can't stop herself from giving his mother-in-law a back-hug. Jimin offers reassurance back to Jungkook's mom in exchange for all the love she's given him.

Jungkook's mom returns to his room to report that Jimin has finally gone home, but she doesn't understand why he refuses to see him. Jungkook tells his mom to remember that no matter what, Jimin was good to her, which makes no sense to her.

Jimin has not, in fact, left the hospital, and Yoongi spots him first as he searches for Jungkook's room. Jimin tells him that Jungkook's doctors won't let anyone see him, but Yoongi says that Jungkook called asking for him.

In his hospital bed, Jungkook is thinking of the moment when Jimin asked him for a divorce, and in contrast how happy he is every moment he spends with his mom in 1999. Yoongi interrupts Jungkook's thoughts, and a glaring Jimin steps out from behind him to face Jungkook.

Jimin and Jungkook take a moment to talk. Jimin confesses that when he saw him hurt, he felt as afraid as he had when his mother died.  He felt helpless, forced to watch his husband of eighteen years dying because he couldn't authorize his surgery.

Jungkook apologizes for avoiding him, and when Jimin demands to know why, Jungkook says that he could see, in that near-death moment, what kind of unhappiness arose from his selfish desire (to be with Jimin ).

Since they don't know how or when they'll return to the future, Jungkook suggests that he just live here, forgetting their past. Jimin reminds him of Jugmin, and Jungkook responds that he cares more about Jimin's happiness than his own desire to see his son. Jimin begins to cry, while Jungkook can't even bear to look at him.