Chapter-13

"The times we were in love"

In the original 1999, the day after the big group date, Jimin stops at his locker to find a trail of arrows that lead him to the library. There, he finds a note from Jungkook, in which he asks him out to a movie. Jimin smiles, and just behind the bookshelf, an excited Jungkook is smiling too.

After a while of dating, the two are practically inseparable. Jungkook reluctantly sends Jimin off on his bus home, but he gets an idea when he spots an elderly woman selling fruit by the street. Later, Jimin arrives at his stop and is surprised to run into Jungkook again—(he'd taken a taxi over to give him something.)

Jimin loves that Jungkook wanted an excuse to see him again, but he gasps when he sees that the excuse was to give him peaches. Jungkook is already breaking out from his allergy, but he happily states that you likes peaches, so his allergy doesn't matter

Jimin is so moved that he figures Jungkook would pluck a star right out of the sky for him if he could. Jungkook replies that he would get him every star in the sky and with that, the happy couple walks arm-in-arm the rest of the way home.

Their movements are compared with when they signed their divorce papers, Jimin thought wonders where those times, when they were willing to pick the stars and even the moon for each other, disappeared to.

*************************

The next thing we know, Jungkook is waking up in his apartment of 2022. He can hardly believe his eyes until he runs out to the kitchen and sees present-day Jimin standing before him.

Jungkook is so relieved that he grabs Jimin in a hug, tears in his eyes. He releases him to look for Jungmin, and Jimin wonders if he's still drunk from last night. Jungkook stops and says that he's not drunk.

"I had this dream," he starts, but when he turns around, Jimin is gone. He calls out for him, and then we see that that was a dream. Jungkook wakes up, still in 1999, tearing up as he mumbles for Jimin.

Before leaving for school, Jimin confirms with his Mom about their trip to the mineral springs. Jimin's Dad is upset that he's being left out again, but Mom is too busy reading a headline on the newspaper he's reading—there's been an increase in suicide among those in their twenties.

The quote "Mom, thanks for giving birth to me, but it's too hard" reminds her of Jimin thanking her for the same thing the day before. Now thinking the worst, Mom searches Jimin's room and finds the letter Jimin had meant to leave when he thought he was returning to present day.

Jimin's Mom is alarmed, although she doesn't actually read the letter, and asks Eun-joo ( jimin's elder brother) about it. Eun-joo figures that Jimin must've just written a note for Mom's upcoming birthday, so although Mom still feels uneasy, she lets it go for now.

As Jungkook walks to school, Ye-rim cruises by with her chauffeur and offers him a ride. She thanks him for helping her, and he reveals that he had his own reasons for wanting revenge against Hyun-suk as well.

Ye-rim gets all shy and offers to protect him if Hyun-suk were ever to harass him again. Realizing how flirtatious she's acting, Jungkook starts to feel uncomfortable.

We see in flashback that Ye-rim had been moved by Jungkook the night he and Jimin saved her—he'd paid for their drinks and even took the blame for a statue she accidentally broke at the counter. She'd looked at him with hearts in her eyes, as she does now.

Once Ye-rim drops him off, she smiles and asks if he has a girlfriend. He actually hesitates and starts to fantasize about what it would be like to marry Ye-rim and become a big-shot hospital director.