Épilogue (PART 1) ⚠️

⚠️it's in the third section⚠️

A/N: so this is set after/during the final of the show. Like zuko has fought azula and has aang defeated oazi. Zuko's coronation hasn't happened yet.

                                                                     *****

Zuko was day dreaming watching the palace that was now his. He was simply stood leaning on the balcony over one of the courtyards when he heard footsteps behind him.  

"Zuko?" a girl asked. 

The fire nation boy turned to face her now, "Mai" he bowed politely greeting the girl. 

"I heard about what happened, I guess I was worried about you...or whatever" she explained. 

"Oh um yeah thanks for coming. I did say I'd talk to you when I'm back and I am now so...let's talk"

Mai starred blankly at zuko expecting him to start. 

"Oh I'm fine" zuko said referring to the bandages covering his wound from the lighting, "it will heal in a few weeks" 

She only nodded so zuko took a minute and then continued, "err so I know t-the way things ended between us weren't...great but I've had time since then to think and-"

"You're not gonna thank me for the boiling rock?" she teased with him, almost a little flirty. 

"Um right yeah thanks for coming round...eventually" zuko was getting awkward, it was times like these he wished sokka was here, speaking of which he continued, "look I've had some time to think since then and I really do think we're better off just as friends" 

"I agree" 

"Really?"

"Well I'm obviously not gonna spill my feelings so, yeah" 

"That's good then. How have you been?" he tried to keep the convo light.

"Fine" Mai sighed, "we may not be together anymore zuko, but if you need me I'm around. Things are gonna get pretty crazy here quickly with your crown and azula"

"Don't talk about my sister." zuko dissmissed, "but thank you" 

"I'll see you at the coronation," Mai bowed dismissing herself. 

                                                                       *****

Later that day...

"Prince zuko, the avatar and his team have arrived" a guard informed. Zuko rushed out of his room, stopping at katara's to tell her the others were back. This would be zuko's first time seeing the gang since the battle with his father. A message bird had informed him of what had gone down and that oazi was being moved it prison immediately but he couldn't wait to hear from aang himself. Plus there had someone else he'd been missing. 

Katara and him made their way to front the entrance where zuko open to the doors of the palace to a sea of guards. 

"Where is the avatar?" zuko yelled. 

"He is right here sir" the guards parted to reveal Aang, Toph, Suki, and Sokka. 

Zuko quickly ran to greet the group, embracing aang first. The air nomand leaned tightly into zuko and said, "thank you" 

"No thank you," zuko replied tears falling down his face, "you have no idea how much what you did means to me aang, to everyone"

Aang blushed smiling the other, "I'm just glad your okay too"