104

Ge Xiu couldn’t tell how he was feeling right now.

    He had thought that he had already figured out the other party’s purpose in the last world. He thought that everything that person had done before was a gentle trap, a conspiracy to keep his mental body in the virtual world forever. However, his next behavior directly and completely had thrown his ideas into chaos and overturned all the guesses he had made before.

    Ge Xiu had always been accustomed to relying on his own thinking ability.

    He was good at organising seemingly chaotic clues and analysing intelligence from a disorienting environment. He enjoyed playing with and manipulating human nature’s weaknesses and benefiting from it to ensure that he would occupy a favorable position in the game.

    But…

    the other party’s move was unexpected for Ge Xiu.

    What happened next was like a derailed train, rushing away from the established track and its route becoming unpredictable under the pull of gravity and inertia.

    It was the first time Ge Xiu felt overwhelmed.

    For the first time, he was forced out of his comfort zone, forced to abandon the dominant position he once relied on.

    Ge Xiu didn’t want to admit it, but one thing was beyond doubt — the moment the other shot himself in the jaw, he felt flustered for the first time, as if something got out of his control.

    This feeling was dangerous.

    Ge Xiu liked danger and challenges, but he didn’t like such an unexpected sense of losing control.

    He didn’t know how to face the man in front of him.

    ——However, right now, the other shouldn’t have any memory of the previous world.

    Ge Xiu clung tightly to this conclusion, as if this was the only way to gain a sense of security.

    “Yes, thank you for your concern.” He nodded at the man standing at the foot of the bed and replied in a cautious and distant manner.

    Zuo Yan looked at him quietly.

    He could clearly see the undisguised vigilance in the young man’s eyes.

    Zuo Yan curved his lips and said:

    “That’s good. What else do you need? Water?”

    His posture was calm and impeccable in terms of etiquette, but there was a vague doubtful feeling in it.

    Ge Xiu struggled to little by little move off the bed. His movements were still affected by the sequelae of the previous pain, becoming clumsy and slow.

    He shook his head and bluntly refused:

    “No need.”

    The moment Ge Xiu’s feet touched the ground, his knees softened slightly. If he hadn’t supported himself with the bed with his hands in time, he would have fallen directly to the ground.

    Zuo Yan withdrew his subconscious steps forward without a trace.

    He frowned, momentarily confused by his own gaffe.

    Ge Xiu lowered his head and slightly adjusted his wrinkled clothes.

    His complexion was still pale, and the warm sunset outside the window spilled into the room along the window lattice, coating his cold and pale profile with a layer of gold light, making his facial features even more beautiful and profound, this extreme feeling of conflict made it almost impossible to look away.