23

Lulai knew that he was dreaming.

    The endless silence and darkness embraced him, slowly and gently dragging him into the depths. He couldn’t wake up no matter how hard he struggled.

    The shattered fragments of memories were like mirrors floating around, each piece was sealed with endless blood and fire. The war accompanied by blazing flames burned with dazzling colours and filled with silent wailing. Each piece was the pain and torment he had experienced—destroyed fleets, the collapse of stars, and suffering of humans.

    That was the Alliance’s expansion war.

    He used to be unstoppable, his heart was like a stone, he’d slash with a knife to cut off any obstacles that hindered his path.

    He walked alone in the flames of war and hell, leaving behind screams and sorrowful crying reaching the sky. He was the god of war, an unstoppable blade, a destroyer of everything. Wherever he went, there were only ruins and wolves left behind him.

    He returned to his homeland in glory and honour. What awaited him was the admiration and worship of the entire country, but as far as he could see, there were ignorance, lies, corruption, greed, fight for power, tyranny – planets were squeezed dry. Galaxies were swallowed by greed, human beings were just empty numbers and available resources.

    He himself delivered the bloody and tyrannical crown worn on the head of the culprit.

    Lulai still remembered his anger when he discovered the truth.

    The deep anger had never faded, it was suppressed by him, hidden deep in his heart, burning constantly under his calm appearance.

    There was no reason for his rebellion.

    On the contrary, it was the slaves and the maidservants who needed to be saved from the abusers – they never needed a good excuse to look at them contemptuously and slaughter them.

    His anger was constantly hidden under the calm.

    The extremely powerful and bottomless desire for destruction was restrained by him under the surface of indifference, as if hot magma flowed silently under the Earth’s crust. When his strong will faded, it tried to break free from the restraints of his self-control, always looking for a way to ravage, searching for an outlet to vent.

    In the chaotic struggle, he suddenly felt that a soft, fragile body was clasped in his palm.

    Without any resistance, without any struggle.

    Lulai struggled to open his eyes, his eyelids were heavy as if he was filled with lead, everything in front of him seemed to be spinning crazily, and thousands of double images were reflected in countless lights-

    A familiar face was just in front of him, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t see through the white mist in front of his eyes.

    On the contrary, a brand-new illusion appeared before his eyes.

    Lulai vaguely felt that he was hugging a butterfly, a butterfly that was always struggling. It fluttered with soft wings, and the slippery powder scattered on his palm and fingertips, trying to break free from his control and fly away from him——However, as long as he applied a little force, it could be easily broken, destroyed, and crushed.

    Tear off its wings and it will stay forever.

    Just like he always expected.

    The desire for control and possessiveness roared deep in his chest, urging him to strike, like a demon whispering in his ear over and over again.