Chapter 5 - An oddly familiar feeling

Life went on, and you found the world so cruel for moving at the same speed without Kibum walking on it. The days went by, and you were now 2 weeks away from your due date.

While Taemin and Jinki moved back to their apartments, Minho decided to still stay with you and take care of all your needs, especially with the due date so close. He didn't want you to be alone, in case anything happened, and the doctor advised you during the last visit to lay low anyway.

One day, though, that false sense of peace you started to get used to got abruptly interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Mari? It's good to see you! Come on in." Minho exclaimed, opening the door. You recognised the young girl from a picture Kibum showed you a while back. She was his cousin, and you vaguely remember speaking to her at the funeral, but the memory from those days was so blurry, you weren't even sure anymore.

Mari didn't seem so happy to see Minho or you, though. She looked pale, and she avoided eye contact at all costs, even when the three of you sat down at the table in the living room.

"What brings you here?" Minho smiled, trying to strike up a conversation.

"I... I don't even know... how I can tell you this. I've never felt more ashamed... and... if Kibum were here... he would've never forgiven this..." Mari started, looking down at her hands and fidgeting.

"Mari, what's wrong?" Minho frowned.

"It's okay. You can tell us..." You looked unsure at Minho, who also didn't know what was happening.

Mari hesitantly pulled out a small envelope from her bag and handed it to you, her hands shaking badly.

"I'm so sorry." She burst out crying. "I... I tried to talk them out of it, but... no one is listening to me... all they want is money... his money." She cried and cried, and as you opened the envelope, your heart stood still.

Eviction notice was written in red, bold letters at the top of the page.

~

Eviction notice

This notice is sent to Miss Lee Da-Eun, referred to as "Tenant".

Property Address: XXXXXXXXX

The tenant is hereby notified that, in accordance with the laws, the tenant has 30 days to evacuate the property after receiving this notice.

THE NOTICE IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAWS. IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THIS NOTICE LEGAL PROCEEDINGS WILL BE INSTITUTED TO RECOVER POSSESION OF THE PROPERTY.

Date of receival:

Tenant signature:

~

"Mari... what is this supposed to mean?" Minho asked with a frown, almost snatching the paper out of your hands.

You started trembling. No way you were getting evicted out of the apartment 2 weeks before giving birth.

How are you even going to find a new place in two weeks?

"Da-Eun, please forgive me!" Mari cried and stood up, kneeling down on the floor in front of you. "Kibum hasn't updated his will... and since both his parents passed away, my dad is the next in line to his estate. He... didn't leave anything... for you... and my dad doesn't want you staying in here for free!" She cried hard.

Both you and Minho stood silent. You couldn't believe what you were hearing.

Of course Key didn't update his will. He didn't expect to pass away on the day he was to get married. No one did.