Chapter 5

my face drops and I stare at my phone in disbelief. how did he get my number? so I ask exactly that.

me: how did you get my number simba?
simba: I asked a question first.

so annoying I thought.

me: why?
simba: you can't answer my question with a question.

I rolled my eyes, letting out a long breathe.

me: no, i'm not hungry.
simba: you sure?
me: now answer my question.

He doesn't respond and I wait a few minutes, my leg shaking in anticipation. suddenly a facetime call from him comes up, I quickly decline the call and go to our messages.

me: i'm not answering your call until you answer my question.
simba: it was on your email from the zoom call.

mental note to only include my work number and not my personal cell. I look down at my phone and see another text from him.

simba: what are you doing for the rest of the day?
me: not sure yet, might go out to eat later.
simba: with your boyfriend?

I look down at the word boyfriend and bite my lower lip, a guilty feeling bubbling into my stomach. why do I feel guilty about having a boyfriend? who cares if he knows? the phone flashes again and another message from simba pops up.

simba: i'm at the chinese spot by your crib getting some dumplings. come down, I don't wanna eat alone.

I release my bottom lip, letting out a shaky breath and start pacing the living room back and forth. my favorite dish. I feel like I have a angel and a devil on my shoulder, telling me what I should or shouldn't do. I have two options here, option A: go downstairs and eat dumplings with your co worker or option B: decline and text your boyfriend to see what he wants instead.

me: i'm told you i'm not hungry, I'm gonna take a nap.

option b it is.

simba: k.

I stare at his response and my stomach drops, feeling even more guilty than before. k? what does that mean? is he mad? I open up delano's messages, texting him to see if he's almost done at the gym. after I send the text, I hear the front door open and run to it, dropping my phone in the process. the door opens and I see delano, his face looking confused.

"woah slow down there tiger, where are you going?" he says as he picks up my phone and hands it to me.

"I thought it was the amazon driver with my package, I've been waiting for it all day" I lie.

"you ordered a package? I didn't get the notification on my phone" he says looking at his phone. "I ordered it from malani's account, she has prime and you forgot to pay it this month." I say, hoping he doesn't ask me what I bought so I don't have to lie again.

he nods his head and closes the door, putting his gym bag down. I kiss him on the lips and move his hair out of the way, staring into his eyes. "how was the gym babe?"

"it was good, it wasn't packed which is surprising for a friday because everyone is trying to work out those carbs they had for the week so they can look good for the weekend" he chuckles as he grabs a bottle of water from the fridge and chugs it. I smile and nod in agreement, grabbing a bottle for myself. he puts the the empty bottle on the counter and leans against the it, scrolling on his phone.

"you hungry?" I ask, finishing my water and throwing both of them in the garbage.

"hell yeah, I was thinking we can grab something to eat real quick, a place close by maybe?" he ask, making his way to the couch and I follow. he sits down and I sit on his lap, making myself comfortable as he wraps his arms around me. "what do you have in mind?"