Chapter 18

“So, how was your day?” Drake asking, holding my hand again as we walked down to the library.

“Good. How was yours?”

“Good. What'd you make on that social studies test?”

“97. You?”

“Jerk-face. I made an 81.”

“Are you sure you're not the one that needs tutoring?” I joked.

“Gosh, hurtful.” Drake took my bag from me, setting it on the bench, and took my hand to help me down onto the cement, like always.

After we had decided to start with math first, and we were supposed to be doing an equation, Drake said, out of the blue, “Have you thought about what Michaela said?”, not even looking up from his work.

“Uhm, well. I haven't personally, but Michaela has.”

“Oh? And what has she said?”

“She told me to date you and that you sound very hot.”

“Well, she is right.” Drake laughed and grinned.

“And Emily said she heard you and Jeffrey talking by the vending machine, and she said she heard you say that you might be asking someone out.”

“Oh, she heard that?” Drake looked almost disappointed.

“Who is it?” I asked, nudging him.

“No one. What Emily said was a lie. Have you finished the equation yet?” Drake said, changing the subject quickly, and glancing over at my paper, where I hadn't even started the problem.

“Uhm, no. Not yet.”

“Well, come on. We don't have all day, Tailee.”

“Yeah, not all day.” I said, under my breath and started the problem.

“I can't walk you home today, so are you fine by yourself?”

“You can't? Why not?”

“I have to stay and wait for my little sister, Aris. But I'll see you later?”

“Uhm, yeah. Sure. Bye.” Drake reached over and gave me a quick hug, then walked into the library.

It makes me a little ashamed to say that I was disappointed Drake wasn't beside me on my walk home.