Chap. 19

KEENON:

"Dude, wake up, I thought you said you had stuff to do before the fight."

I groaned and opened my eyes, rubbing them before sitting up, coming face to face with Soda. She was straddling my waist while wearing nothing but a t-shirt and underwear, hair wet and scrunched up in a really cute style. I stared at her for so long that her lips curled up into a lopsided grin.

"Like what you see?" she asked, tilting her head in a way that was so cute it wasn't fair.

I knew my face was blank and probably looked dumb, but I couldn't help it as I mumbled, "Maybe."

Her grin faltered just a little bit as she nodded at the alarm clock. "I thought you had somewhere to be."

I looked to my right to see the time and realized I was still in her room, sitting under her in her bed, and this morning's events came rushing back to my mind.

"How did you sleep?" I asked, forgetting the time and looking back at her bright green eyes just inches from mine.

Her brow furrowed but she shrugged, going to get off me. "I was okay."

My hands shot out to grab her waist on autopilot, keeping her on top of me as I lay back on the pillow and looked up at her with a small grin.

"That's not exactly what I meant. Did you have-"

"I thought you had to go," she interrupted, looking at her clock once again.

I looked too and my eyes widened. It was almost two o'clock in the afternoon. I had slept for a very long time, which was unusual for me. However, my fight was at eight and I didn't have to be at the gym to warm up with Tay until six.

"No, I don't have to leave until 5:30. Have you been up long?" I asked, looking at her face, noting her eyes were bright so she had been awake for a while.

She shrugged with a small smile as she looked down at her hands which rested on my bare chest. "Not really, I got up around eleven to get a shower and eat breakfast and fix my stupid phone," she said the last part with emphasis while glaring at me.

"Why did you have to get a shower and what's wrong with your phone?"

She looked a little uneasy as she said slowly, "Well, you are very warm, and I'm always really warm anyway, so I woke up sweating a little and... I'm going to your fight so I just went ahead and got another shower," she said quickly before adding, "And my phone has been blowing up with guys answering all the messages you replied to."

It took a minute for her words to settle in, and when they did, I found myself sitting up and pulling her so close our noses touched as I tried not to beam at her. "You're coming to my fight?"

She chuckled, pulling back a little. "That's what I said."

"But why? You aren't afraid of illegal night fighting?" I asked, not believing my luck at finding a roommate that was okay with my profession.

She threw her head back and laughed out loud, white teeth showing. "No, I'm not afraid of the underground. I knew who you were and what you did the first day I met you. And I'm coming because Toby demanded it, and plus, I kinda want to see you fight."

"Wait wait wait," I said, leaning back against the headboard. "You knew who I was? How?"

She grinned sheepishly and said, "Uh, well I used to have a thing for fighters, so I would go to their fights a lot and still keep up with names and stuff. You can't know about undergrounds without knowing your name too. I hear you're good, and this is a big fight for you."