Chap. 31

KEENON:

I looked over at Soda's unconscious face for the hundredth time, making sure she was still breathing. She was scaring me senseless, and I couldn't get her to wake up. I mashed down the gas pedal and pulled out her phone from the console, scrolling until I found Brody's number. I briefly debated on whether or not to call him. Him and Soda weren't exactly on good terms right now. What if she hated me for calling him? I stared at his name in her contacts and made the decision, holding the phone up to my ear.

"Soda Pop?" came an extremely hopeful voice that could only belong to Brody.

"No, it's me," I answered slowly, prepared for any reaction.

"Oh thank God it's you Keenon! I thought she left by herself."

"No, I have her," I assure him, surprised at the worry in his voice.

"What do you mean 'you have her'?" he asked a little hesitantly.

I cleared my throat and glanced over at Soda again. "Well... she went to see her dad."

I heard a long string of curses come from his mouth before he said, "Well, what happened?!"

I bit my lip and followed the GPS to the hospital. "Thomas tried to kill her," I said angrily, failing at trying to keep myself from feeling murderous.

I heard a crashing noise on the other end of the line followed by several bangs and heavy footsteps. A car engine roared to life before Brody's voice came back. "Tell me where you are."

"I'm about ten minutes away from Saints Memorial Hospital," I said, checking the GPS and looking over at Soda again.

"Good, I'll be there in half an hour. Look Keenon, I need you to call Matt. I know Soda has his number, and I know neither of us likes him, but I need you to tell him what happened," Brody instructed. "He will fix it."

I clenched my jaw but sighed. "Got it."

I hung up and scrolled down the contacts while looking back at the road frequently, but the name Matt was nowhere in the phone. I was just about to give up when I saw the contact 'Him', and I just had the feeling it was Matt.

On the third ring his deep voice picked up. "Princess?"

I cringed at the nickname and gritted out, "Guess again."

I could feel Matt's whole persona change through the phone as he growled in a warning, "I swear to God Boss, if you lay one hand on her, I will find you."

I was taken aback at the death threat and how seriously scary it sounded, wondering who in the world this Boss character was, but I cleared my throat and corrected him. "Actually, this is Keenon."

"Why the hell do you have Soda's phone?!" he growled.

"Don't get your panties in a wad, Brody told me to call you," I spat, really disliking him now.

"Oh?" His voice had changed again, a certain dose of apprehension coating his tone.

"Yeah, Soda's dad tried to kill her, and I'm headed to the hospital with her now," I told him.

It was silent for a long time before a deep breath was pushed into the phone and he mumbled, "I told her not to do that. Okay, tell Brody I've got it. Which hospital? Is she okay?"

I nodded before remembering he couldn't see me. "She's alive but unresponsive. Saints Memorial. I have to go, I'm here."

I hung up and parked the car in a handicapped space, jumping out and running around to Soda's side. I slid her out carefully, noting with unease that blood was smeared on the leather of her head rest. I kicked myself for not being able to keep her awake.