Chapter 5: Welcome To The Mushroom Kingdom

A mushroom person with red spots on his cap wearing an adventurer's outfit including a head lamp walks over to them.

Mushroom Creature: Excuse me, are you alright sirs?

Mario and Luigi lift their heads, look at the ground then up at the mushroom person and the brothers yell in fear.

Mushroom Creature: What's the matter, never seen a Toadstoolian before?

Mario: Luigi what is that thing? You're the one who might know this.

Luigi: I have no idea.

The mushroom realizes that he's frightened these newcomers and bows before them as a sign of respect.

Toad: My deepest apologies, my name is Toad. I'm the leader of The Toad Brigade. Your names are?

Mario: I'm Mario Mario.

Luigi: I'm Luigi Mario. What do you want from us?

Toad: I don't need anything just on patrol. Especially after the king came back with a struggling Yeelah woman.

Luigi: That must've been Hildy. Wait Yeelah?

Mario: What on earth is a Yeelah?

The brothers stand up and look around.

Toad: Yeelahs are the non-Toadstoolian people that live here. Unfortunately, most of them are not in this part of this place and if they do, they're our leaders. Sadly, our old leader was overthrown by Koopa. Anyways follow me.

Toad walks away only to gesture that the brothers follow him and so they do so.

Mario: So where exactly are we?

Luigi: Well judging by the large fungi everywhere and floating blocks and bricks I'm guessing an alternate dimension.

Toad: This is the Mushroom Kingdom!

Mario: So, you're saying we're in like a fantasy story.

Toad: No this is all real.

Mario: How would I know that? How do I know I'm not dreaming all of this?

Toad hits Mario with the hiking stick he was using causing Mario to yell in pain.

Toad: Does that hurt?

Mario: YES!

Luigi: Well then, it's definitely not a dream then huh.

The brothers continue to reluctantly follow Toad until they come across another pipe. Mario and Luigi look inside of the pipe when a bulbus red flower rises out of the pipe and it's petals peel open to reveal its teeth. The brothers jump back in fear as the plant tries to strike them with its jaws. Turning around after Toad hears the brothers yelling in fear, he goes back to that pipe to help them.

Mario: What is that thing?

Luigi: I don't know why do you keep asking me?

Toad: Oh no you don't. That's a Piranha Plant, they're nasty carnivorous plants. Be careful though it could be one that can shoot fire balls.

Mario and Luigi try to dodge the plant when Toad hits the plant on the bulb, and he eventually gets the plant to slither back into the pipe. Toad then takes the Mario brothers to a village gate where they're greeted by another Toadstoolian, this is Toads sister Toadette.

Toadette: Hey Toad, who are these guys? Are they Yeelah?

Mario: No, we're human.

Toad: These guys are humans, and they were near the Outpipes. We must see the sorceress.

Toadette: Ok but she won't like this.

Mario: Who is this sorceress?

Toad: To answer your question Mario the sorceress is one of the most powerful magic users.

The four go deeper into the town and see a castle several times but don't think much about it. They approach a mushroom shaped hut with a book hanging off the cap and Toad knocks loudly on the door a woman in a yellow dress and white hood with brown hair named Daisy opens the door.

Daisy: Toad, what do you need?

Toad: Daisy we need to talk to you about (looks around nervously) Koopa.

Daisy: Are these the heroes?

Toadette: What heroes? These are some random guys my brother had found near the Outpipes.

Daisy looks around spotting a couple of Goombas on patrol; she quickly let's all four of them into the library and closes the door.