Chapter 10: The Dangers of The Darklands

The brothers fall into water and eventually wash up on an island with dinosaur-like creatures. The creatures pull the Mario brothers into the jungle and are brought to a tribe where they wake up.

Mario: Where are we now?

Luigi: I don't know, Mario don't ask me.

The dinosaurs bring the Mario bros to their leader, an older chubby version of the other dinosaurs. The creature sits on top of a throne in a temple.

Yoshi: Why if it isn't the children, I helped get home. You've grown up so fine my boys.

Mario: What are you talking about? I feel like I would've remembered a dinosaur raising us.

Luigi: Yeah, I agree with you Mario.

Yoshi: Well of course you don't. You both were babies.

Luigi: Really? Then you can help us, right? A friend is under mind control by Koopa.

Yoshi: Why yes. Bring in the mushroom powder.

Several Yoshi's walk with a bag of green dust and hand it to their leader.

Yoshi: This can cure any spells or curses put on anyone.

Mario: Thanks. What's your name? We didn't catch it.

Yoshi: Well, many call me Yoshi. Which is confusing as that's also the name of my species.

Mario and Luigi leave the island to go back to the Mushroom Kingdom via a pipe. However, they end up at in the Darklands city and sneak through avoiding all of the koopa troopa's and go down into one of the sewer systems which ends up leading them into Koopa's castle.

Luigi: Mario, what do we do?

Mario: We leave in the crowd to the Mushroom Kingdom. We're going to need disguises though.

Luigi: How?

Mario: Like Mario's my brother.

Mario grabs two sets of clothes and the brothers change into them ditching their old ones. Mario is now wearing a red jumpsuit with blue sleeves and pockets with a red flat cap and Luigi wearing a green version of the outfit Mario is wearing but wears a baseball cap. The brothers sneak around trying to find where Koopa is when they see Toad who is being dragged in by Mugger into the main throne room and Koopa sitting on a throne wearing a white tuxedo.

Mugger: My lord we've captured the red Toadstoolian that you requested.

Koopa: Good, I'll personally take him to the Transformation Chamber, and I want you to alert Kamek about this.

Mugger: Yes, my king.

Mario and Luigi run before hiding behind a Koopa statue.

Luigi: What? The Transformation Chamber?

Mario: Must be what Toad was talking about.

The Mario brothers continue to sneak around the castle thankfully never being seen. The koopa troopa general leaves the throne room leaving Toad in the throne room with Koopa and reports to Kamek.

Mugger: Kamek you're needed in the Transformation Chamber.

Kamek doesn't say a word but instead picks up his wand and teleports himself to the chamber.

Kamek: Sire I see you got the mushroom shall we begin.

Koopa: Begin Goomba transfiguration.

Toad is strapped to a chair underneath a warp pipe by a Koopa Troopa in a lab coat and glasses. Screaming for help, Toad turns to the reptilian king.

Toad: Koopa you're one lousy leader. I hope the Mario Brothers stop you before you can do anything to me.

Koopa: One thing I cannot stand is the disobedience this little fungus has done. Kamek activate the machine.

Toad: I can feel the presence of the old king right now. You've been hiding him here, haven't you? You'll never stop us.

Kamek turns the dial on the control deck which lets out a chip tone voice.

Control Deck Computer: De-evolve. Advanced.

Toad: You're insane!

Koopa hits a button connected to a randomizer which resembles a slot machine on the wall and each slot falls one says Toadstoolian the other has an arrow on it and finally an image of a goomba. Toad's chair is pushed up into the pipe where magic slowly transforms Toad into a monster. The chair slowly descends from the pipe revealing Toad has been transformed into an ugly mushroom creature with two protruding fangs on the bottom of his mouth, the only semblance of his old self is the headlamp he still has on, and he's left brain damaged.

Koopa: Goomba Toad go join the other Goombas.

Goomba Toad: Yes sir.

The Koopa Troopa that was sent to help then accidentally spills a coffee like drink that was meant for Koopa on his wedding tuxedo.

Koopa: Kamek. Ask our lovely errand boy to take a seat.

Koopa Troopa: But sir it was an accident. I didn't mean to.

Koopa: YOU RUINED MY TUXEDO.

Kamek: Sit in the chair.

Kamek waves his wand with magic which forces the koopa troopa into the chair. Mugger who has been standing in the doorway this whole time stands and watches in silence.

Koopa Troopa: Please general help me.

Mugger: Sorry new guy.

Kamek turns the dial to an image of a weird bubble and once again the chip tone voice speaks again.

Control Deck Computer: De-evolve. Precambrian.

The koopa troopa is thrusted into the pipe and magic transforms him as he screams until there's an earsplitting silence. Not a word from the pipe until the chair slides out all that sits inside is the shell, coat and glasses of the koopa troopa. The shell tips over pouring out a glowing orange viscous liquid with black beady eyes onto the chair and the floor. Koopa who was close to the chair tries to move his wedding shoes out of the orange gunk.

Koopa: Have someone clean this up, Kamek. We also have to attend my bachelor party as well.

Kamek: Yes, my lord. Blooper get in here and clean up this mess.

A squid in a lab coat walks into the Transformation chamber.

Blooper: Yes Kamek.

Blooper picks up a bucket and cleans up the puddle of orange goo and he dumps it into a pool of more of the same viscous liquid. Toad leaves the room and joins the other Goombas and Koopa Troopas who stand in rows waiting to leave for the Mushroom Kingdom.