XI

"Don't tell me you waited for me." I say teasingly.

Travis laughs. "No. No.... I just happened to notice you weren't at the table."

I nod. "Oh right. That's so easy with it being the most populated table right?"

He rolls his eyes, standing up and walking closer to me. "I'm very observant to the things I deem important."

I ignore the blush in my neck. "Well. I deem food important. So let's go."

As I go to turn away, he grabs my hand, I flinch, expecting to see his dreams but nothing happens. Noticing this reaction, he drops my hand and clears his throat. "I thought that through. Let me show you the full extent of Camp Half-Blood hospitality." He holds up his other hand. Revealing a small backpack.

"Wow. A backpack. Should I swoon now or later?" 

He laughs. "Now preferably. I'm at a great distance to catch you in my arms." He shakes the backpack lightly. "I stole some food. Now come on."

I glance over at the noisy, populated mess hell before glancing back at him.

Noisy mess hell...

Or...

Cute boy offering a picnic?

Though, that's how every dumb girl dies in a horror movie.

"I barely know you."

"This is a great chance to change that."

I watch him for a moment before nodding. "Fine. Just try not to murder me."

He smiles, beginning to walk with me away from the mess hall. "I'd prefer to make you swoon first."

♤♤

The spot Travis had in mind turned out to be absolutely beautiful. Unless he kills me. It's a treehouse. A fucking tree house

Well. Technically it's just a small platform in a tree. But it's absolutely gorgeous. The cool night breeze ruffles through my hair as the smell of pine trees soaks into my senses.  I sit on the edge. Dangling my feet as Travis unloads the backpack in between us.

"So. Spill." I say as the smell of roasted ham and mashed potatoes quickly take over the wood's aroma. 

He pulls out the Tupperware. Taking off the lids and handing me a fork. "What do you mean?" 

I scoop some mashed potatoes onto my fork. Groaning at the mix of flavors.
"I mean..." I say with a full mouth. "You're giving me quite a bit of attention. So. Either you are desperate for a girl.. or.. you have some ulterior motive."

He whistles lowly. Taking a piece of the ham. "Those are some serious trust issues you have."

I watch him, gesturing for him to go on. "You didn't answer my question."

He reaches into the backpack. Taking out a bottle of wine.

"No. No way." I laugh. "I am not getting drunk in a treehouse with a guy I barely know."

He shrugs. "More for me. And besides. It's not like Mr. D can enjoy it." He shrugs.

He pops the top off and takes a long sip. "First of all. This isn't a treehouse. The Apollo kids built it for the games of capture the flag, but they found a better way to build it so they left this one alone."